ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are a ton of threads that are talking about a slipping clutch, and I've come to the conclusion that my clutch is shot. I am at stage 2 with cobb on my 2006 WRX TR, and only have 16,000 miles on my car. I recently had the throw out bearing replaced under warranty, they did not mention anything about the clutch itself being toasted.. or showing any signs of being on it's way out. The clutch pedal squeaks when pressed in.. sounds kinda like a spring being stretched out. The slipping is in 3rd, 4th, and 5th @ roughly 3500 rpm. I'm just thinking 16000 miles is WAY too early for the clutch to be shot. I don't launch, I don't ride the clutch, but then again.. I don't baby the car either. One last thing that I should mention, is that a week after I bought the car... there were transmission brackets missing off of the car.. so I'm wondering if the short period of time that I drove the car with them missing didn't put that much stress on the clutch. Thanks in advance for your help.. and I'm not trying to repost a thread that's been posted 1000 times before.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
16k mi., something's definitely wrong: driving style, or manuf. defect..

you dont rest your foot on the pedal while cruising, do you?

The creaking you hear may either be the pedal spring, or the clutch-fork spring.
Since the TOB was replaced, ensure the return spring is on the shift fork.. If not, that could ultimately be a problem for your clutch, as it is designed to fully retract the TOB from the pressure plate fingers..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can honestly say that I am pretty well experienced with driving stick. I don't rest my foot on the clutch pedal, I don't rest my hand on the shifter knob when the car is in gear and moving. I think there is something majorly wrong from the factory. The transmission brackets missing in the first place, kinda had me worried about what would come in the future. I'm going to take it in.. so they can atleast crack into the assembly and see what's going on. I'm wondering if like you said, they maybe didn't tension something properly. I would look for myself.. but why do that when it's still under warranty =)

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
I can honestly say that I am pretty well experienced with driving stick. I don't rest my foot on the clutch pedal, I don't rest my hand on the shifter knob when the car is in gear and moving. I think there is something majorly wrong from the factory. The transmission brackets missing in the first place, kinda had me worried about what would come in the future. I'm going to take it in.. so they can atleast crack into the assembly and see what's going on. I'm wondering if like you said, they maybe didn't tension something properly. I would look for myself.. but why do that when it's still under warranty =)
They might throw you a bone and replace the clutch when you take it in. Keep us posted.

Any pics of the '65 Buick? :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, hopefully the will replace the entire assembly.. just because of the fact that there are 2 prior issues related to the assembly. I'm wondering if the fork itself didn't get slightly bent when the brackets were missing.. maybe causing problems.. I was looking at the fork when the TOB was bad, and it did kind of look bent just slightly. I will have to get some pictures of the buick, it's a beautiful car. In fact, I will snap some shots of it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
the forks do have a sort of 'kink' to them, anyway. And I doubt it's bent. It's cast iron or something... Stranger things have happened, though..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just trying to look at every possible aspect of what could be going on, I'm 100% sure that it isn't my driving style. From the information that I have gathered.. Exedy makes the OEM clutch for the WRX.. and it's rated to handle = amount of power that I am putting to it. Like I said.. I don't launch the car.. when I downshift.. I revmatch. Oh, and I have never once "Banged" gears. It's just really strange because this started happening out of nowhere. Other than the slipping, and the spring noise.. there are no other noticable problems. I'm not going to drive it until I take it into the dealership.. I don't need to get stuck somewhere and have it towed there.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Yeah, hopefully the will replace the entire assembly.. just because of I will have to get some pictures of the buick, it's a beautiful car. In fact, I will snap some shots of it tomorrow.
:cool:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll love it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went out and took a pic of it, it's dark.. so it's not too great.. lemme upload it real quick.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Sorry, crappy pics.. and the car is dusty. I need to invest in a car cover.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Mmmm ragtop no less. :)

Daylight pics or ban.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ROFL, I know.. I haven't gotten around to getting some good pictures of the car. Photography is actually a little hobby of mine.. so I wanted to make them extra special.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
ROFL, I know.. I haven't gotten around to getting some good pictures of the car. Photography is actually a little hobby of mine.. so I wanted to make them extra special.
I eagerly await the pics. Give it a wash too ...

Whitewalls? :barf: I am SO glad they are all but dead.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I eagerly await the pics. Give it a wash too ...

Whitewalls? :barf: I am SO glad they are all but dead.
I had to get some tacobell =) Yeah, this weekend it's getting a good wash.. I'll get some better pictures. I have whitewalls on the WRX too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rofl, I was just kidding about the whitewalls on the wrx. I took the wrx in yesterday, so we will see what they have to say about the clutch. Nobody was working in service department, so I had to fill out a form and drop the car off. I didn't really like leaving it without being able to talk to somebody in person, but what can you do I guess.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I took it in.. and he called me back today. He claims that his "specialty" guy took it out for a spin.. and noticed nothing wrong as far as the clutch slipping. He says that they have it documented, and that if something goes wrong.. that they will fix it. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, so now I pick up my car that is still broken.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Are you sure your not just getting some kind of surging at 3,500 RPM?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What would be the cause of the surging?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts