Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot about how people say you shouldnt drop the clutch and slip it instead. Whats the differnce here. I mean I figured there was about one thing you could do with it and thats just let it out. Most of this is in responce to a 4 or 5k launch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
LemonHerb said:
I read a lot about how people say you shouldnt drop the clutch and slip it instead. Whats the differnce here. I mean I figured there was about one thing you could do with it and thats just let it out. Most of this is in responce to a 4 or 5k launch.
Slipping the clutch is just that. You release the clutch pedal slowly. The more you release, the more your car will bog. The less you release, the more the revs will stay up, BUT it'll also wear your clutch down more.

Dropping the clutch is just letting off of the pedal completely all at once. This is good for consistancy, but slipping gives the best overall control (I do the dropping method).

hth, -C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
ok dropping the clutch is bad for your differential and tranny and slipping the clutch is better for your car unless u hold it to long and <sniff sniff> burnt clutch....practice makes perfect. Search the site and you'll find so many views on this topic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Samirr76 said:
Dropping is the best way to bog and strip all the teeth off your first gear. :p
Wrong. Dropping the clutch with no power does that. If you build boost, dropping the clutch will net consistant times. Your wheels will spin which gets rid of that huge BITE that happens when you drop it and bog. Something has to slip whether it's the tires of the clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
TypeC said:


Wrong. Dropping the clutch with no power does that. If you build boost, dropping the clutch will net consistant times. Your wheels will spin which gets rid of that huge BITE that happens when you drop it and bog. Something has to slip whether it's the tires of the clutch.
after a few times of dumping the clutch u can better believe u will leave your tranny behind on the ground and the diff will be in 348975493857 pieces
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
after a few times of dumping the clutch u can better believe u will leave your tranny behind on the ground and the diff will be in 348975493857 pieces
I'm sorry but you're DEAD wrong. This is the kind of misinformation we DON'T need here. After 200+ passes, and nearly 2 yrs of racingwith dropping the cluth under boost (and spinning the tires) when my tranny was taken apart (for inspection) by a shop the gears, synchros, and clutch were 100% perfect. The shop guy that I only had 1K miles it was that perfect.

So in short, you're wrong. There is a proper way to dump the clutch while not hurting your tranny.

-C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
TypeC said:


I'm sorry but you're DEAD wrong. This is the kind of misinformation we DON'T need here. After 200+ passes, and nearly 2 yrs of racingwith dropping the cluth under boost (and spinning the tires) when my tranny was taken apart (for inspection) by a shop the gears, synchros, and clutch were 100% perfect. The shop guy that I only had 1K miles it was that perfect.

So in short, you're wrong. There is a proper way to dump the clutch while not hurting your tranny.

-C
i may not be a tranny specialist nor do i claim to be one. But a someone who works on tranny's stated that it was bad. hold on i'll get the exact post for you by noon time. an AWD i dont see how that can be good for the tranny. IMHO you have the 1 sweet WRX tranny, unlike alot of other people who busted and broke theirs. I myself would rather slip it and be safe then dump it and be sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
i may not be a tranny specialist nor do i claim to be one. But a someone who works on tranny's stated that it was bad. hold on i'll get the exact post for you by noon time. an AWD i dont see how that can be good for the tranny. IMHO you have the 1 sweet WRX tranny, unlike alot of other people who busted and broke theirs. I myself would rather slip it and be safe then dump it and be sorry
Right, I'm not talking about what someone thinks is bad, I'm talking about what I (and others) have shown through example to not be bad. This is also done in the DSM world. So, no matter what you post, this doesn't change the reality of this experience. In other words, don't post "after a few times of dumping the clutch u can better believe u will leave your tranny behind on the ground and the diff will be in 348975493857 pieces" when that is not based on any facts nor personal experiences.

Again, if you launch on boost and spin the tires, there isn't as much shock as when everything bites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
TypeC said:


Right, I'm not talking about what someone thinks is bad, I'm talking about what I (and others) have shown through example to not be bad. This is also done in the DSM world. So, no matter what you post, this doesn't change the reality of this experience. In other words, don't post "after a few times of dumping the clutch u can better believe u will leave your tranny behind on the ground and the diff will be in 348975493857 pieces" when that is not based on any facts nor personal experiences.

Again, if you launch on boost and spin the tires, there isn't as much shock as when everything bites.
correct me if i'm wrong but tire spinning is bad in a drag or street race. Grip is good. So dumping the cluth and spinning would be the exact same thing time wise as slipping it and getting no spin..correct or am i mistaken?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
You are mistaken. You want some slip at launch (with a drop) so it's not so hard on the drivetrain and to keep the car in boost. Slipping the clutch overheats it and will glaze it over time....it won't grab as hard.

VV

SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
correct me if i'm wrong but tire spinning is bad in a drag or street race. Grip is good. So dumping the cluth and spinning would be the exact same thing time wise as slipping it and getting no spin..correct or am i mistaken?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
VetteVert said:
You are mistaken. You want some slip at launch (with a drop) so it's not so hard on the drivetrain and to keep the car in boost. Slipping the clutch overheats it and will glaze it over time....it won't grab as hard.

VV

can you explain that again u said i was mistaken but then u said slipping is what you wanted? did u word it wrong or am i not picking it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
One or the other. No, you do not want to slip the clutch for optimum launches. You want to dump, but with some tire spin. When you dump and bog, nothing is slipping, and all the force is being absorbed by the drivetrain. When you dump the clutch and spin a little, the shock is much reduced by the wheels slipping slightly (which also keeps you in boost, i.e. good :) ). When you slip the clutch you heat the clutch (hence the smell). When you finally do let go of the clutch it won't grab like the non overheated clutch will. Enough slipping will also glaze your clutch disk, causing it to slip even when you don't want it to.

VV

SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
did u word it wrong or am i not picking it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,095 Posts
VetteVert said:
ROFL. That does sound stupid reading it the second time. What I meant was the I drop the clutch so that I get some tire slip :)

VV

hahah ok i was just making sure i understand everything..i mess up posts too and don't read over them so dont worry about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:
so which do you use/think is better? u gave good arguments from both sides
I've got 1.79 with the drop on boost method. I would say that the drop method would be more consant since the only thing that you vary is launch rpm. Slipping (the clutch) would give the total comprimise between bogging and spinning since you'd stay in your sweet spot, but has the side effect of being hard on your launch.

A friend of mine was AWESOME at the R/T and 60' and slipped it every time (different car), but 6 months after he bought his car, his clutch started slipping. Different car, but I think we should all be aware of the stress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Sorry for posting a few days later, but just to make sure I don't bust the tranny or clutch...I'd need to have the tires at 42psi so they will get a little bit of spin when dropping the clutch?
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Top