ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon All, I have a 2003 Subaru wrx sti RHD with the ej207 v8 motor, just did a cold start on my car yesterday and noticed a small ticking sound that happens after the engine does it’s warm up procedure, you can hear it for about a min or 2 and then it goes away, wondering if anyone knows what this is, had an oil change done 4000kms ago and getting another one done tomorrow.

thank you so much guys attaching a video at as well.

heres the video IMG_9765.MOV

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
Piston slap is normal and there is no remedy. Subaru recalled STi v6 (or V7?) engines for slap and the replacements slapped later anyway. My bugeye WRX has done it for 18 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Piston slap is normal and there is no remedy. Subaru recalled STi v6 (or V7?) engines for slap and the replacements slapped later anyway. My bugeye WRX has done it for 18 years.
I gotcha ok so nothing to be worried about, it’s super quiet only notice it for a few mins after i start driving when the engine is warming up.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
Mine has done it for nearly two decades. Never be under the engine with the car on a lift with it started cold, it sounds like a Turner diesel from the 50s I have in my mill.

There is a remote possibility it’s a timing belt tensioner; that’ll clack at the front of the engine.

Be thorough while it’s at the garage anyway. Check you have oil pressure. My guess he’ll say it’s normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts