Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I tried doing a search and found nothing. But I wanted to know what is "Slam Shifting" and how can it harm your tranny? Thanks for help guys!

Jason

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
instead of finessing it in, you "ham fist" it, forcing the shift lever (with lots of force) into gear. This screws up the synchos as well as the gears. The synchros are the first line of defense. Once that goes...then the gears. You're also fatiguing the shifter bushings faster.

edited for spelling by GV27...he meant shifter, not....er...a toilet!

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tan said:
instead of finessing it in, you "ham fist" it, forcing the shift lever (with lots of force) into gear. This screws up the synchos as well as the gears. The synchros are the first line of defense. Once that goes...then the gears. You're also fatiguing the ****er bushings faster.
Hmmm I cant figure out if I am doing it or not. How do you shift fast then? Practice?

Jason

·
Registered
679 Posts
PhreeZe said:
How do you shift fast then? Practice?
Yup. That and a Short shifter (or shift knob that'll shorten the throw). The thing to remember is the speed is what matters not the force.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
You have to be a bit careful with the short shifter. It doesn't really let you shift any faster - just that your hand doesn't have to move as fast to do a fast shift.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
What exactly would be cosidered too much in the shifting?

I don't slam it, but I do shift fast. Not smooth, but not abusively either.

Doing the same damage?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The amount of force and speed is relative. My rule is that you press the stick up against the gear selection gate. It resists a bit unless the drivetrain is perfectly synced up. Hold it against it until it just slips in and does not resist while going in. If it does not slip in and the rpms just about hit rock bottom then you are not pushing/pulling hard enough.

Now, this can take a bit of time if you are pressing too lightly, so you have to pretty much estimate what is reasonable. If for example, I could do a 3 count before shifting then that is just not right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The slowest part of shifting is waiting for the engine to spin down with our heavy stock flywheel. If you really want to increase shift speed, you'd need to swap it out for a lighter one. Thats how all those GT and rally cars can shift lightning fast, they run ultralight flywheels that spin down incredibly fast.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmm..with the short shifter from SOA I really haven't found the needto shift faster than it easily allows. Basically clutch in>click * click* clutch out <the clicking is coming out of gear ang going into the other.> I will say rev matching, more important on the downshift> speeds things up a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Razlak said:
The slowest part of shifting is waiting for the engine to spin down with our heavy stock flywheel. If you really want to increase shift speed, you'd need to swap it out for a lighter one. Thats how all those GT and rally cars can shift lightning fast, they run ultralight flywheels that spin down incredibly fast.
It also doesn't hurt that they run sequencial dogboxes that only have to last a few hundred miles!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts