ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Sign me up for two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
you know you can buy one here in the states used for the price of a STi
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
Nexus6 said:
you know you can buy one here in the states used for the price of a STi
MotoRex, baby!

Too bad the R34s aren't that low in price :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Yo

I wanna Skyline R34 too ... umm but the Skyline is not $30K+/-. I'd want a new one since ... umm you don't know what the previous owner did ;) unless you know that person. They look PIMP and damn they're fast. That's the car that I want in the future. When other people get a VET, Supra, etc ... I want a Skyline R"X." :p
Also are the Skyline's AWD or RWD? I've head different stories? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
For the amount of money they want to charge for a R34 skyline here in the states, you are better off just get a 911 turbo.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
jk147 said:
For the amount of money they want to charge for a R34 skyline here in the states, you are better off just get a 911 turbo.
Maybe, if a 911 Turbo wasn't $110k vs. $80k for the R34 :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
Re: Yo

chuglobal said:
I wanna Skyline R34 too ... umm but the Skyline is not $30K+/-. I'd want a new one since ... umm you don't know what the previous owner did ;) unless you know that person. They look PIMP and damn they're fast. That's the car that I want in the future. When other people get a VET, Supra, etc ... I want a Skyline R"X." :p
Also are the Skyline's AWD or RWD? I've head different stories? :confused:
Skylines are kinda both. They're RWD unless the computer-controlled AWD senses the front wheels slipping...then the computer will transfer up to 50% of the power to the front to prevent it from slipping. It's kind of like the best of both worlds...RWD for straight-line and top-end performance, AWD for powering through the twisties :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Re: Yo

chuglobal said:
Also are the Skyline's AWD or RWD? I've head different stories? :confused:
There were a couple of good article about the Skyline in the UK "Car" and "Top Gear" magazines when the latest came out. They explained the AWD system as electronically controlled.

ATTESA-ETS
Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All - Electronic Torque Split

Under normal driving conditions, the car would operate as RWD. But a computer would determine if there is loss of traction and bring torque to the front wheels. Allows 50-50 torque split.

HICAS
High Capacity Active Steering

Computer controlled active rear wheel steering. Freaky, eh?

So, it's AWD only when it needs it. I think I remember hearing that there are some bugs in these systems in the R-34, but nothing is perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Partly right,
R32 through R35 have the ATTESSA and HICAS systems. It's set to keep it as RWD until the systems detect losses of traction. Then power is transferred to the front wheels. And if it can put 50% torque up front, I'll call it FWD.
Yeah-I read too much about other cars. Time to learn more about this WRX!:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
I posted this after it went up, but here it is again...I wrote an article on the history of the Skyline, now published by the soon-to-be-defunct company I used to work for :)

http://www.aerovec.com/page.php?page=10
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Re: Re: Yo

wildnuts said:


There were a couple of good article about the Skyline in the UK "Car" and "Top Gear" magazines when the latest came out. They explained the AWD system as electronically controlled.

ATTESA-ETS
Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All - Electronic Torque Split

Under normal driving conditions, the car would operate as RWD. But a computer would determine if there is loss of traction and bring torque to the front wheels. Allows 50-50 torque split.

HICAS
High Capacity Active Steering

Computer controlled active rear wheel steering. Freaky, eh?

So, it's AWD only when it needs it. I think I remember hearing that there are some bugs in these systems in the R-34, but nothing is perfect.
learn something new everyday:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Koua Jones said:
Remember not all skylines are GTRs so not all skylines have AWD. The lower models GTS-T are RWD.
That's exactly what I wanted to post as I was reading down. It's a very good point to make, that the Skyline is only a model line series(Skyline was actually a company absorbed by Nissan).
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top