ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 04 wrx wagon i keep getting a CEL:mad: for a misfire but it comes on for different plugs everytime:confused: i dont know if its because of the mods i have or if there is something else that is causing the light to come on
checked the plugs and they seemed fine
MODS
sri
headers
up-pipe
downpipe
spacers for both 02 sensors

no tune

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED :)

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
that no tune thing is the biggest problem you have right now. Get a professional tune, and the tuner should be able to take care of those misfires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would an accessport get rid of that and my CEL or is that not the same, im thinking about getting one still trying to decide weather to get it or not

THANKS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my car is mostly stock other than the parts listed but ive cleaned the maf:confused: no leaks checked my plugs and wires, changed out my fuel filter, and also ran fuel injector cleaner. so dont know if its the tune part or not:shakehead:

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
It IS the tune. Period. End of story. Get it tuned! You have different fueling requirements with the parts you have listed... the spacer on the front O2 sensor could be causing the problem too. The front one is important for fueling. The rear one causes the check engine light.

It is 110% from the mods you have. ESPECIALLY if it is from different cylinders. If it were a single one.. then I wouldn't be as prone to saying this. But the whole system is out of whack because you're modifying a car that you haven't tuned for the modifications. Get a tune. You'll see like 50-70 more horsepower, no more misfires, and your car will be so much happier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i live in bakersfield CA., and if i got a accessport would that be the same or would getting it tuned by someone be better, because i would rather get the access port so that way i can change stuff myself

and thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
my car is mostly stock other than the parts listed but ive cleaned the maf:confused: no leaks checked my plugs and wires, changed out my fuel filter, and also ran fuel injector cleaner. so dont know if its the tune part or not:shakehead:
You have a lot of mods on there. What do you mean mostly stock? What brand of components are all of these things?

No the AP won't help you because your car doesn't have mods supported by their maps.

You either need to remove mods so your car will match with the maps they offer with the AP or get a protune.

FWIW:
The SRI is a bad mod. You already get more than enough air through your stock airbox for your car. It also introduces MAF issues. It also sucks in hot engine compartment air, robbing you of power.
The headers aren't necessary and are doing nothing for you. I'm guessing they're a cheapo brand too? That means they're likely to fit badly and be a source of leaks, and have a good chance of cracking due to the very high temps Subaru exhausts are known for.
Get rid of your front 02 spacer.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
i live in bakersfield CA., and if i got a accessport would that be the same or would getting it tuned by someone be better, because i would rather get the access port so that way i can change stuff myself

and thanks for the help
No.. an Accessport is not going to be enough for you. You need a tune from a professional dyno tune shop. Harman Motive used to be one of the best in the business, then they changed to "AQ Motorsports". I'm unsure how good they are for tuning anymore. But you can try them. They're in Torrance. In Huntington Beach there's a dyno tuner named "HB Speed" that is fairly well renowned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh ok cool i will have to do that as soon as i can gather up some money cuz im broke right now, or do i need to get it tuned soon so i dont mess anything up on my car.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You need to get it tuned for those mods. You can blow your engine without a tune to support them.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I would expect to incur engine damage running those mods without a tune, CEL or not. Personally, I would not drive that car one mile without being properly tuned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts