ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i just got a WRX and im really bad with cars.. but I see that some people have lowered their cars.. which looks really cool.
Could someone tell me how to do that.:confused:
like what you need to buy and etc...
thanks guys:)

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
There's basically 3 routes:

1. Cut your springs...cheap but VERY VERY bad. If you do this, we will all collectively hit you with whatever we can get our hands on.

2. Lowering springs...there's many brands out there, such as Eibach, Tein, H&R, Tanabe...all of which work great and are pretty inexpensive. They help in performance but not too much unless matched with upgraded struts. Springs generally go for around $200, more or less.

3. Coilovers...a combination of springs and struts that are usually fully adjustable, so if you want to ride really low you can lower it down, but if it starts snowing or something, you can raise your car back up. They're the most expensive, ranging from $1000+, but the adjustability and quality make them preferred for performance.

If you're just going for looks, or looks are your main priority here...I'd suggest springs. I'm running on Tein Hi-Tech springs and they work great for me.

Anyone with more technical knowlege is free to correct me :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks VERDUGO
so how do u cut springs ??? haha j/k

for springs are there choices on the stiffness of the springs ?

and will any type of spring go with the stock struts ?

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
No problem :)

You're pretty much good to stick with name brands like the aforementioned...and as far as stiffness goes, I can't really help you there. My Teins are only a little stiffer from stock, but enough to be noticeable. I think the main difference among current WRX springs is the lowering height. My Teins probably lower the car the least, about 1.2" in front and 0.8" in back. The Tanabe springs are just about 2" in front and 1.8" in back. You probably don't want to go lower than 1.5" or so though, since any lower will put too much stress on your stock struts...but don't take my word for it :) There's more than a few people out there using the Tanabe springs...how their car turns out in the long run, we'll see.

·
4,769 Posts
Verdugo is correct. Over 1.5 inches and the struts will take a beating from slamming into the bump stops continually. Stick with 1-1.3 inch drop. Tein, Eibach and H&R are all excellent quality. Tein are the cheapest I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks u 2
helped me understand it a little more
if any one has any thing else to add i would appreciate it

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
1,556 Posts
God said:
Verdugo is correct. Over 1.5 inches and the struts will take a beating from slamming into the bump stops continually. Stick with 1-1.3 inch drop. Tein, Eibach and H&R are all excellent quality. Tein are the cheapest I believe.
Would it be ok if I upgrade my struts then lower it 2 inches in the front and 1.8 in the back? I like to have my car low...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Verdugo said:
No problem :)

You're pretty much good to stick with name brands like the aforementioned...and as far as stiffness goes, I can't really help you there. My Teins are only a little stiffer from stock, but enough to be noticeable. I think the main difference among current WRX springs is the lowering height. My Teins probably lower the car the least, about 1.2" in front and 0.8" in back. The Tanabe springs are just about 2" in front and 1.8" in back. You probably don't want to go lower than 1.5" or so though, since any lower will put too much stress on your stock struts...but don't take my word for it :) There's more than a few people out there using the Tanabe springs...how their car turns out in the long run, we'll see.
Great I like a little drop not 2 much so TEIN is it, thx Verdugo. I think I will go with Koni insert, what do you think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts