Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The Samco Silicone Intercooler hoses make claims about reducing heat soak, but I think any HP increase would come from removing the stock intercooler "hoses" which are plastic and have ribs in them. They look to me to be a big flow restriction, so I figured new hoses would be $150 well spent.

What does everyone else think?

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
14% flow increase. There you go, Dan. Don't doubt the MechE (me), he knows a flow restriction when he sees one. I was screaming about a pre-turbo catalytic converter as the words crossed my mind while reading about the 2002 WRX for the first time. I said to Tan, "I will have that car, and the pre-turbo cat has to go."
Dan, you backed me up time and again on this and you got to work right away with the Godspeed uppipe. I'll be doing mine as soon as I make certain that a leaky radiator isn't going to be a chronic problem with my beast. I have to yank my boost controller and take her to the dealer. I'm hoping for a new radiator. Then I'm going to try to blow that one up too. If it goes, I'll be instructing them to put an all aluminum aftermarket radiator in there. Is there any wait on the uppipe?

Unfortunately, no more mods until then. Well, maybe I'll get those SSR comps I'm dreaming of.

bedabi, it's interesting and expected that the APS flows better, but 60% is really good. Its compacity is almost double that of the stock intercooler as well. That "metered vacuum/suction machine" is called a "flow bench."

Hey Dan, aren't you concerned about an accident rendering the front mount intercooler nice and broken? I gave it some thought and that's an issue with me. Even a minor run in with a tree like I've seen pics of on this sight would smash an aluminum intercooler and the bumper is not designed to protect it.

-Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.