Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just my rex, and i love it. had a question about removing the stock intake silencer. benefits/drawbacks, and how to do it. also, what does k&n offer for the wrx, and how does this compare to a cai system. is engine management necessary for all cai systems? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Benefits: Really cool sound inside the cabin and a bit deeper sound from outside.

Drawbacks: None really, at least that i can think of off the top of my head.

CAI on our cars aren't worth the money, the stock intake works pretty good. K&N makes a filter for our car, i haven't heard and greatly positive things, but i recall hearing once that one guy notice a drop in hp.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i have looked into all of these things recently and here is what i found:

the CAI is a waste of money, nobody has shown an increase in performance from one (maybe with a heavily modded car? but i dont know)

the K+N air filter isnt really worth it either. after reading a lot of posts i found that half the people are happy with it and half arent. nobody really said anything about any noticable difference in the car, and although its only $50, its still $50.

the intake silencer removal also had mixed reviews, basically people couldnt confirm an increase in performance. however, it is definite that the turbo spool up is more noticable, and you can also hear your bypass valve when shifting (BOV kind of noise). i just did this mod today actually, and am having a lot of fun with it (also find myself speeding more just so i can get to the top of the gear to shift and hear the 'whoosh') :)

o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how did you do it? tools needed/time involved?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It's very fast, and very easy. I believe a write up is on www.scoobymods.com . Tools are, phillips head screw driver, socket wrench, 12 or 14 mm sockets, and elbow grease. Very easy "mod".

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i'm sure there is a tutorial on this, but i'll run through it quickly...

0) remove the plastic 'intake' that sits right under where the hood closes at the front of the engine bay by take off the two screws that hold it in. this is the piece that feeds into the snorkel' in the fender. pull it off of the 'snorkel' and just put it aside, you dont need it anymore.
1) jack the front right side of your car up, and take off your wheel.
2) use a screwdriver and take off all the plastic 'screws' that hold the fender well in. there are two on the underside of the car front of the bumper, and about 6 or so inside the fender well.
3) peel the fender well down, out of the way, so you can see the intake silencer 'snorkel'
4) there is one nut that you can get to from the engine bay, which holds the 'snorkel' in the fender. its on the left side towards the front. take that off.
5) the last remaining screw sits up in the fender well and is tough to get to. if you reach your hand up when you are half laying under the car you should be able to find it. remove it.
6) pull the 'snorkel' out.
7) put your car back together

ok i think thats it. maybe there are some pictures in a tutorial here somewhere. try searching for that. its really not tough... 30 minutes from start to finish. good luck
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i took a shot of it on my floor. the two pieces come apart in the middle, right where the intake leads into the fender... its pretty simple...
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Yeah, but you didn't tell them about the cool thing I did!

I didn't feel good about having a gap between my airbox and the hole in the fender, so I cut off everything except the piece that fits into the airbox and reattached it. Now I draw all my air from the fender. Damn, it sounds cool too! :D

Bryan....You should have gone for a nice 120mph run down Quincy ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
XtmX said:
any problems driving in the rain? Like sucking water into the intake?
i have done this mod as well and there is absolutely none of this..

it basically turns your fender into an air box with holes in it.. there is noticiably less spool-up time and it actually sounds like it has a turbo... lol :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
This sounds like a cool mod, and I'm thinking of tackling it this weekend. I've got my 7,500 mile warranty check-up coming up next week. How does SOA feel about this sort of thing? Are they gonna freak, or is it a pretty common, "safe" mod?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

-MacGomez-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts