Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! Side view mirror removal

I think a jealous Honda owner decided to remove my sideview mirror. Just a joke...but someone yanked on it I think.

It appears the round push-on tinnerman (sp?) that compresses the spring on the side-view mirror shaft and holds it on the shaft has come off. My question is, does the actual glass mirror just "pop" out of the mirror housing or is it mechanically attached? If I can get the glass out I think I can fix it and save a trip to the dealer. I dont want to try and pry it out and bust it.

Sorry for the lack of better technical description.

JTREX

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Again

Any help here would be great. I am going to drive the car to Nazareth PA for the IRL race this weekend and I don't know if the dealer can help me out in time.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i know on toyotas they are held on with something like rearview mirror glue.

but that stuff is reallt strong. you very well could end up breaking it anyway if that is the case on the subee.

sorry i couldn't be more help.

good luck.

dR

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer comes thru

Took it in, they said it was a defective part. Free replacement. Cheers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Glad it was nothing big, most of us are still new to the car. We are all
still gathering info on our baby :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
mirror problem

I just had the same problem occur with my mirrors. Both of them popped within 24 hours of each other. Do you know if the dealer just replace a clip or did they have to replace the entire mirror assembly. If it was just a small part, did you see how they did it? I am hating having to explain BOTH mirrors, but they both went while driving with the windows down and making a turn.:mad: Right turn, right window. This morning, left turn and the left one folded in.:confused:

I am hoping that there is a small part and that I can get a couple of extra ones. I have a feeling that this will happen again.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They had to replace the entire mirror. No way to get inside the mirror. It was painted part and they installed it for me, gave me a loaner car while they had it. 1990 Legacy, boy Subbies have come along way. While I was waiting for the part, I took a long Arse tie-wrap and wrapped it around the black part of the mirror (pivot point) and it kept it in place nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts