Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think that the Ej20 has a pcv valve
not haveing a pcv valve to suck on the crankcase would lead to having a slight positive pressure in the crankcase from the ring leakage.
In short a slight amout of air will come out the dipstick if you remove it while running. This air would normaly go through the breather and then back in to the intake charge. If you have a strong wind coming out then you need a new motor.

On deisel engines they use a "road draft" tube to relise this air and oil mix onto the ground. They offer a spec on how much air is allowed to come out the hose before the engine needs work.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the EJ20 does have a PCV valve. it's on the backside of the intake manifold on the passenger side.

Think I'm going to do a compression test just to be safe...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Now you are scaring me, last time I did the oil change I noticed a little air comming out when I was staring at it (yes I like to stare at my engine while it is running). Just how much air are we talking about.. like being able to float a loose cap off of it? Or just enough to ruffle a feather?

Hey! did somebody edit my avatar? I could have sworn it was all white around the big G the last time I checked...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's normal. Freaked me out too! The last time I had air puffing out of my oil filler cap was when I knew I had cracked 3 piston ring lands on my Blown 5.0. :eek: :D

Checked 2 local WRX's and both puffed like mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts