ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have:
2002 White WRX wagon. 94K miles. Very nice condition, no notable flaws, very clean, runs perfect. Cobb catback with gutted OEM downpipe, Perrin turbo inlet, Pro-dyno tune on open source (I have the tune saved on my computer, and my stock one as well). STi springs with Konis, 17" BBS RK's with summer rubber, stock 16" WRX wheels with Blizzaks. Autometer boost and oil pressure gauges. I did the timing belt, pullies and water pump 2 months ago. I'm not sure what i'd ask for it if I sold it.

My friend has:
2004 Red WRX wagon. 101K miles. Nice shape. Interior is in the same shape as mine. The exterior has some rock chipping on the hood that mine doesn't, and 2 noticeable small dents on the right side (i'd want to PDR them out). Steering wheel has some wear on it that mine doesn't have. Cobb turbo-back exhaust with Cobb Accessport V2 running their 92 octane stage II tune. Some sort of cheap lowering springs on stock struts. Short shift kit. STi hood scoop (it also comes with the original one). Stock VDO gauge kit (oil gauge doesn't work). Timing belt has NOT been done. Summer tires on OEM wheels (painted gun metal, I don't like them). Blizzaks on some Konig 17" wheels. He wants $9,500.

Comparison:
-I like the color of his car more.
-His transmission shifts nicer and isn't as noisy.
-I like his seats better.
-I like his brakes better.
-I like my suspension better.
-I like my wheels better.
-My car puts down more power, his feels sluggish in comparison to my tune.
-Overall, mine is a little cleaner with less wear and tear, less imperfections.

I have all my stock parts. I could remove my mods and swap them to his car if I bought it. But it's work, it's money, it needs a timing belt, it needs some dent removal. I'd have to pay sales tax on the sale (CT law...it would be 6% of KBB).

Any advice? I'm on the fence about this.

-Nick

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
his brakes vs your brakes?? really? they are identical...

Personally your bugeye wagon is about the most sought after 02-07 wrx.. everyone wants a white bugeye wagon.. Keep it, mod it, love it..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
his brakes vs your brakes?? really? they are identical...

Personally your bugeye wagon is about the most sought after 02-07 wrx.. everyone wants a white bugeye wagon.. Keep it, mod it, love it..
Hmm, interesting. Maybe it's the pads and rotors we're running. My car doesn't stop as well as his...it's always been a point of contention i've had with my car. That and the transmission.

I don't have any pics of his car, but here's mine...(before the STi springs).

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
you can purchase 05+ wrx seats on pretty much any cities craigslist they fit the bugeye.

you are running 17" wheels that might be a part of the braking issue, simple solution is an H6 rear upgrade, hawk pads, 5.1 fluid and stainless lines

the tranny.. well if there is no grinds it could be a simple fluid change to make it shift better, if not time for a better tranny, all these upgrades could probably be done for less than taking that red car down and paying for the PDR and the timing belt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
you can purchase 05+ wrx seats on pretty much any cities craigslist they fit the bugeye.

you are running 17" wheels that might be a part of the braking issue, simple solution is an H6 rear upgrade, hawk pads, 5.1 fluid and stainless lines

the tranny.. well if there is no grinds it could be a simple fluid change to make it shift better, if not time for a better tranny, all these upgrades could probably be done for less than taking that red car down and paying for the PDR and the timing belt.
Thanks for the reply again. I appreciate the honest opinions.

Seats:
I like the shape of the bugeye seats better. I like the material of his seats more. The micro suede on mine gets dirty constantly.

Brakes:
Braking is the same with the 17's, or with the stock 16's. My brakes have always been awful. I actually have a set of stainless lines that I never installed. I'm on OEM pads and rotors, with ATE superblue fluid.

Tranny:
Mine doesn't grind, it works perfectly. The fluid was changed at 40K, and I changed it again at 80K...OEM fluid from the dealer. Later model WRX's just shift nicer and seem to be more refined. The '02 gear box isn't the greatest thing. It looks like trannys are $1200-1400 on average.

Timing belt:
I paid roughly $300 for a new belt, pullies, water pump, fluids, etc. It would be another $300 I would have to spend on his car, immediately.

So for his car, it's looking like:
-$300 for timing belt and associated parts
-$300 or so for PDR for the dents
-$550 or so in taxes, title and reg
-------------------------------------------------
$1150

I'd swap some parts and sell the ones off his car:
-Cobb catback: $300
-Stock wheels with tires: $250
-Stock shocks with lowering springs: $150
--------------------------------------------------
$700

So, figure it would be equal to putting $450 into the car if I bought it. That $450 can easily be easily increased (or decreased?) by the difference in selling price between what mine is worth and what his is worth. I don't know what i'd ask for my car. It comes down to putting a decent amount of time and work into it, and possibly loosing some money to get into a car that's not any nicer overall, but does have a better tranny and a color I like more.

-Nick

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
In 2003 Subaru changed a gear inside the transmission, that was all that was done between 02-05, in 2006 the Wrx was given the same 5 speed gearbox the LGT has and it is by far a better tranny but still weak.. In my opinion maybe his car has an oem short shift and yours doesn't? I have personally owned a 2nd owner Wrx with 180,000 and drove it to 200k at stage 2 without an issue.. The trans really isn't as glass as everyone tends to make them out to be, it's the person behind the wheel.

So what I'm saying is, throw a short shift and some bushings at that 02 and it will feel much better then your buddies 04 with a slightly stronger gear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In 2003 Subaru changed a gear inside the transmission, that was all that was done between 02-05, in 2006 the Wrx was given the same 5 speed gearbox the LGT has and it is by far a better tranny but still weak.. In my opinion maybe his car has an oem short shift and yours doesn't? I have personally owned a 2nd owner Wrx with 180,000 and drove it to 200k at stage 2 without an issue.. The trans really isn't as glass as everyone tends to make them out to be, it's the person behind the wheel.

So what I'm saying is, throw a short shift and some bushings at that 02 and it will feel much better then your buddies 04 with a slightly stronger gear.
Thanks again...so there's an OEM SSK for the car?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance to the platform. I bought my wagon with 50K on it a few years back, and basically just learned enough to get a decent exhaust, tune, and suspension on it. It's my daily, and I have an M3 that's modified extensively as an autoX/HPDE car, but the WRX has remained the same basically since I bought it and upgraded a few things.

Anyways. The tranny is fine, and I believe it gets a bad wrap from people banging gears and doing clutch drops. Still, mine makes a lot of gear noise when 2nd gear is riding on the back side of the teeth (i'd say 1st probably does it too, but it's kind of a driving faux pas to let the engine slow the car down like that in 1st gear, I don't beat on my car like that). His is quieter in that respect. Though, you're probably right about the engagement having a lot to do with the SSK he has (whatever it may be). I'd be happy if I could match that. It just feels better and has more positive gear engagement. I don't mind it being a little more notchy.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Yes subaru has factory SSK as many other companies to like Kartboy, Perrin, cobb.. etc.. What year M3? Ive had a few BMWs thru the years, my favorite being the E30 M3

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
How did you only pay $300 for the timing belt and all of the related items?

You listed the PDR in your dollar breakdown, but I get the sense you're going to want to get a new steering wheel and the rock chips will bother you too, so how much are those going to cost?

The tranny is the only thing in your car that looks like you really have an issue with other than the color. You might want to look into how much it would cost to wrap your car in the color you want. Overall, there's just a lot of little things you list other than these two that factor into the decision. I think it comes down to how much you really want a better (in your opinion) tranny and a different color. You can try and see if a short shifter makes you happier with your tranny too, which is a cheap and easy change, and one that you can get your money back for very easily if you decide to sell.

For your seats, have you ever tried scotchguarding them?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,220 Posts
How did you only pay $300 for the timing belt and all of the related items?
The Gates kit with water pump, tensioner, rollers, and of course belt goes on sale for roughly that online. I recommend it but I did not like their thermostat or water pump gaskets, so I used dealer items there. Coolant is extra $. Some cars will have a different length bolt for the small roller but that's $3 or so tops, it's just a matter of seeing if your car has the differing bolt and it's going to be a fun surprise, because to do so you have to have the car apart. In retrospect it's easier to have either bolt on hand, but that ruins the suspense.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
The Gates kit with water pump, tensioner, rollers, and of course belt goes on sale for roughly that online. I recommend it but I did not like their thermostat or water pump gaskets, so I used dealer items there. Coolant is extra $. Some cars will have a different length bolt for the small roller but that's $3 or so tops, it's just a matter of seeing if your car has the differing bolt and it's going to be a fun surprise, because to do so you have to have the car apart. In retrospect it's easier to have either bolt on hand, but that ruins the suspense.
good advice, since most dealers may not have the bolt in stock..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on this, better late than never.

In an unexpected turn...my girlfriend (who sold her RSX-S and was looking for a car) bought the car. This was back in November right after I posted this thread.

It kind of prompted me to get a few odds and ends for my car. Little things. But I put Group N mounts in it, installed the SPT Short shift kit with a Kartboy knob, put an arm rest extension in, and installed Rally Armor mud flaps. I fell in love with the car all over again and couldn't be happier.

Her 'new' wagon is fantastic. It's a great car, and I enjoy driving it and love having it around. It's great having 2 Subeys in the family. After the new mounts and the SSK, i'm partial to mine. The mounts made a HUGE difference. Not only to the drivetrain, but the overall feel of the car. Mine were shot. It feels better cornering, more solid over bumps, and more solid overall. I couldn't believe the difference...not what I was expecting. The car should have had these from the factory.

The mounts also, for some odd reason, got rid of the extra gear noise I was hearing from my car. I thought it would make it louder, not quieter. Weird.

Anyways. A happy ending, as we have the red WRX in the family now, and it's a super fun car. And I still have mine, which i'm happier with than ever. Also, mine is in impeccable condition overall and it would have been a shame to let it go.

-Nick

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
No.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts