Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a dilemma, found a 2013 WRX limited hatchback. 78,000 within my price range but I'm scared of the notorious blown head gaskets for WRX. I also got the dealership to send me a car fax report and looks like it's been in a front end accident. It also looks like it's been on their car lot for 90+ days, which is a big flag as to why it's been there for that long. Please give me some advice on this. I don't want to pay for a car that will need a new head gasket replaced.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,596 Posts
What head notorious head gasket?

Reactions: AmateurX

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,596 Posts
Aha OK thanks, good to know. I’m new.

Reactions: XJman

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
I'd be way more concerned about blown piston ringlands and spun bearings than a problem I've never heard of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh, I'm surprised that this isn't as big of an issue that the Subaru community knows for a head gasket problem. Then should I just ignore that and look for other known issues with WRX?

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Shop for one you would any other used ricewagon.

You know people beat them to death so check everything and get maintenance records

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok then the next concern is why has this car been in the lot for past 90+ days. Either WRX isn't a big seller here or something shady is going on.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
It's not a desirable year. It's narrow body and 225 hp. The got a bump in power in 09 I think, maybe 2010. The widebody, the one everyone has a hard-on for, came around in 2011 in wrx trim.

Sedans tend to be less desirable than the hatches too.

I would recommend test driving it. Finding a local shop that's familiar with the wrx and have them do a pre purchase inspection that includes things like compression and leakdown tests, boost and vacuum leaks. You can get in over your head quickly with one of these cars and spending a few hundred bucks on a pre purchase inspection can save you thousands and thousands down the line.

The common failures are usually catastrophic. Pistons, rod bearings, failed timing belt. They can cost upwards of 10k or more to deal with after the fact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sound like a great idea. Is there any trusted recommendations on a mechanic that's willing to do a pre-purchase inspection that's near Oak Park, Illinois?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts