Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first oil change is coming up.

synthetic ATF?

synthetic oil?

both?

·
Registered
431 Posts
How many qts of synthetic ATF should it take to change it over? I also am going to change over to syth. ATF, I have five qts of Redline I plan on using(I am also going to be putting on a trans cooler, will five qts be enough?). I don't wanna put in the Redline till it is completely flushed out though. I was gonna flush with Mobil 1.

My plan was to do a change with Mobil 1 ATF, run it for about a 1k miles, drain it again, put on the trans cooler and then put in the Redline ATF. Do you think that process would be enough to convert it to full synthetic ATF? Is five qaurts enough to fill the tranny w/ a trans cooler. I talked to RobPA awhile ago and I think he said that five would do it, but that was awhile ago and my memory isn't the greatest:eek: Later.
--Jay--

·
Registered
220 Posts
for a full flush (where they hook your car to that machine to bleed out all the atf) it takes 16 quarts. this includes the 4-5 that stay in the trans.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Can you flush it yourself, i.e. change it, run it for 1-3k miles then change it again? Maybe repeat the process one more time to make sure all the petro- based is out? I was planning on doing it myself, try to save a $100 or so. I figured if that way would work, I would use about 10 qts + the 4-5 qts of Redline (which I already have) to stay in the tranny. Would that work?

--Jay--

·
Registered
220 Posts
ya you can do that. just draining the tranny pan will flush like 85% of the old stuff out. do it again after you run it like 10k miles and itll be in the low 90%s synth. i was just lazy, so i said, might as well flush it complete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts