ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically, I recently got a good deal for an evo 8/9, and so if I choose to go with it that will mean I have to get rid of my wrx. Currently my 05 wrx is swapped with an EJ207 v8 engine and tranny. My question (which is probably the thing holding me back), is how much power at the wheels can a stock v8 EJ207 take?? i.e. 450awhp ??

thanks for helping me decide, both evos and STis are awesome, just saying.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
No.

/thread

;)

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
is your car paid off?
will you owe anything on the evo?
how many miles are on it?
is it modded?
does it have all its maintenance done?
have you checked to see if your insurance will go up?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
If you're looking solely for high HP numbers (for whatever reason) you may be happier with the Evo.

One thing I've noticed from friends with Evos is that the transfer case isn't exactly stellar. So, no matter what you choose to do, you're basically sunk into a money pit. Modifying for high horsepower numbers is never cheap, and never should be. So, you may want to think about what your future wallet looks like if you decide to keep going down the numbers chasing path.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my car is fully paid for, and yes has its maintenance and its modded (bolt ons). As for the insurance, I'm guessing it would go up :( seeing that I'm only 19.

@Anub1s, I agree with the money pit, evos have weak tranny and stis are not as mod friendly.

--- does anyone know by the chance if 400-450whp is safe on a stock v8 EJ207???.. I've searched but with no luck.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Yes my car is fully paid for, and yes has its maintenance and its modded (bolt ons). As for the insurance, I'm guessing it would go up :( seeing that I'm only 19.

@Anub1s, I agree with the money pit, evos have weak tranny and stis are not as mod friendly.

--- does anyone know by the chance if 400-450whp is safe on a stock v8 EJ207???.. I've searched but with no luck.
Keep your car. Not worth the switch especially at your age.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

No stock block is worth 400-450whp. It will blow eventually. You're looking at needing a fully built block/internals if you want to push that power. If you push that power stock, it's only a matter of time til it goes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure, I've heard of v7 EJ207 going up the 400s.... If an v7 cant take make it up there, then what is the use of forged internals?? confused..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Everyone is different, but you really should get an insurance quote. I'm 28, married, clean history, and have a house. Multiple insurances quoted an Evo as being more than double of my STI (~$500 over 6 months for the STI with good coverage; ~$1200 for the EVO). That ended any feelings I had about the EVO right there.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,231 Posts
Are you sure,
I don't know if he is. I am.

I've heard of v7 EJ207 going up the 400s....
For how long?

If an v7 cant take make it up there, then what is the use of forged internals??
That depends on one's intentions.

If I were you, I'd figure out which car is cheapest to own by adding payments, insurance, likely repairs, and required maintenance. Then I'd figure out if either car is likely to keep running. From what you're saying, my initial guess is "no" to either but I'm not there, I don't know. I'd pick the lesser of two evils, and that usually involves sticking with the devil you know.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts

Are you sure, I've heard of v7 EJ207 going up the 400s.... If an v7 cant take make it up there, then what is the use of forged internals?? confused..
So do you know or do you not know??

I say keep what you got for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts