Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
should i get a boost,air flue,and oil, gauges, or should i just get AP. it tell u all that on the AP no?

Some of it depends on what car you have.. with GD and GR chassis cars the only one you can read on an AP is boost. There is no WBO2 (AFR) or oil pressure/temp sensors on the car stock. I have aftermarket boost, WBO2, oil pressure, EGT, and ethanol content gauges (planning on adding oil temp and turbo shaft speed sensors in the future).

Whether you should actually bother getting aftermarket gauges depends on what you want to do to and with the car. If you're leaving the car stock and using it as a daily driver then I wouldn't spend money on gauges.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yay i want to get the cobb AP, oil pressure, and air fuel. so it will be ez to tune down the line. what is your preference digital? i know i have to run lines with a normal needle gauge and could have a chance on having oil leek in the cab of the car. or so im told

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of it depends on what car you have.. with GD and GR chassis cars the only one you can read on an AP is boost. There is no WBO2 (AFR) or oil pressure/temp sensors on the car stock. I have aftermarket boost, WBO2, oil pressure, EGT, and ethanol content gauges (planning on adding oil temp and turbo shaft speed sensors in the future).

Whether you should actually bother getting aftermarket gauges depends on what you want to do to and with the car. If you're leaving the car stock and using it as a daily driver then I wouldn't spend money on gauges.
O and the car is a 2010 WRX

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
You'll have to run lines for sending units for most any gauge. Digital or analog.

Personally. Afr, boost, oil pressure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
As far as I know wide band AFR gauges only come in digital form.. it would be really hard to glance at an analog AFR gauge while doing a pull and see was that 11.2:1, or 11.5:1. Of course you won't ever be able to see all the info you need for tuning even if you stared directly at the gauge the entire time (which wouldn't be very safe). You will need a logging cable to make the wide band useful.

As far as boost and oil pressure go, it's up to you. You don't need to know what your oil pressure is down to 1/10th psi. If you can see it's within 4-5psi of where it should generally be that's good enough. With boost, you can use the AP to log that directly, so it doesn't matter much how easy/hard it is to read the gauge.

The main thing I would focus on is buying quality gauges.. MANY brands are worse than useless and give you the wrong readings, and/or fail often. Generally brands like Defi and AEM will be good.. brands like Prosport and Gloshift are a waste of money. Personally, I like the AEM digital gauges myself. Defi are great, but they certainly aren't cheap.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know wide band AFR gauges only come in digital form.. it would be really hard to glance at an analog AFR gauge while doing a pull and see was that 11.2:1, or 11.5:1. Of course you won't ever be able to see all the info you need for tuning even if you stared directly at the gauge the entire time (which wouldn't be very safe). You will need a logging cable to make the wide band useful.

As far as boost and oil pressure go, it's up to you. You don't need to know what your oil pressure is down to 1/10th psi. If you can see it's within 4-5psi of where it should generally be that's good enough. With boost, you can use the AP to log that directly, so it doesn't matter much how easy/hard it is to read the gauge.
The main thing I would focus on is buying quality gauges.. MANY brands are worse than useless and give you the wrong readings, and/or fail often. Generally brands like Defi and AEM will be good.. brands like Prosport and Gloshift are a waste of money. Personally, I like the AEM digital gauges myself. Defi are great, but they certainly aren't cheap.

yeah I found a set of all 3 for 100$,(JDM) any take on the JDM brand? as far as digital gauges go.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
a wbo2 for what? and idk if it comes with one or not, if that's what your asking? it came with AFR,oil presh,and psi
The AFR gauge is useless without a WBO2 sensor. Literally this is what EVERYONE has been telling you.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts

· I Drink & I Know Things
2,532 Posts
That's the one I had, although if I were to do it again I'd have bought the Innovate LC-2.

I originally liked the no-calibration aspect of the UEGO, but found myself distrusting the reading after a few years.
Really? Dammit...I already bought the AEM. Anyone want to buy a new AEM UEGO AFR gauge? lol Ah well.

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
yeah I found a set of all 3 for 100$,(JDM) any take on the JDM brand? as far as digital gauges go.

Never heard of a brand called "JDM".. for $100 they HAVE to be cheap knock off junk. Well made accurate gauges will cost >$100 a piece. The cheapest WBO2 AFR gauge I know of is $150. AEM digital gauges are on the lower end of the spectrum price wise.. I would expect to pay somewhere between $150 and $200 for each gauge. Defi gauges will run you around $200-$250 each, although be aware that some of them do require an additional controller to operate.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
You have to buy a wide band O2 sensor. Don't buy a cheap one either or you'll be past the cost of a single quality one quick. I'm also going to guess that gauge pack has no sending equipment units.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.