Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the thing... i want a STI but they are not that cheap especialy eith the stuff i want in it lol or should i just get the WRX and "hook it up" little by little?

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you can afford it get the STi. You start off with a much better engine, transmission, and suspension set up. Plus you have a factory warranty to go with it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
wrx89 said:
This is the thing... i want a STI but they are not that cheap especialy eith the stuff i want in it lol or should i just get the WRX and "hook it up" little by little?

buy an srt-4 :D

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im leaning more toward the STI because its alot faster and i realy like the seats the way they come with the blue and black... but isnt 6 gears alot!!! every 1 keeps telling me it will get very annoying changing it wut do u guyz think??:wiggles: ??

·
Banned
30 Posts
wrx89 said:
im leaning more toward the STI because its alot faster and i realy like the seats the way they come with the blue and black... but isnt 6 gears alot!!! every 1 keeps telling me it will get very annoying changing it wut do u guyz think??:wiggles: ??
hmm my wrx gets annoying when theres only 4 gears cause 1st gear exploded

·
Registered
113 Posts
TurboLobster said:
hmm my wrx gets annoying when theres only 4 gears cause 1st gear exploded

Lol.

Yah.. shifting sucks, why get a sti tranny when you have to shift an extra time?

If you buy a wrx, you could possibly blow up two gears if you really try. That way you could get going in 3rd and only have to shift in 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
599 Posts
wrx89 said:
but isnt 6 gears alot!!! every 1 keeps telling me it will get very annoying changing it wut do u guyz think??:wiggles: ??
Don't be lazy man! :D I'd take the sti 6 speed any day over the wrx 5 speed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you plan on doing a lot to your wrx, buy the sti. If money is an issue and you be satisfied with a slightly modded wrx, buy wrx.
Oh yeah and imo, 6spd can be a big pita. You better drive hard and fast to take advantage of the sti

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really like the STi's shifting. It shifts so smoothly, and you have so much availible power in any gear. If I could change it, I would prefer 1st and 2nd to be a bit longer, but it's still very fun to drive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
STi > WRX.

some of the pros and cons that I used in my reasoning.
PROs:
- larger displacement
- stonger engine and internals
- larger stock turbo
- 6-speed tranny. Way stronger than the stock WRX 5-speed. The case are stronger and so are the gears.
- stock Brembos
- stock BBS rims
- stock summer tires

CONs:
- can be beat by a slightly mod EVO.

Who cares about the seats...just slap in some Sparco or Recaros and it'll be better than any stock seats.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't understand this at all. if you can afford a STi, then that's the obvious choice. most people don't have the option, or they would bought it. be it money or they bought their car before the STi was released.

just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If shifting a 6 speed is considered too much hassle compared to a 5 speed, you probably shouldn't be considering a manual transmission vehicle in the first place. The shifting becomes second nature anyway, regardless of it being a 4,5, or 6 speed. I'll admit that I've went to put my WRX in fantasy 6th a few times on the highway if I've just gotten out of my TransAm, for example.

Besides, the torquier (sp?) motor of the STi would allow you to skip gears and upshift from 1st to 3rd during normal acceleration in traffic (and going from 4th straight to 6th), or only dropping down to 2nd/3rd for rolling starts and tight turns (versus dropping down to 1st or 2nd in a WRX).

Had the STi been out when I was shopping for my WRX, I wouldn't have hesitated to spend the extra amount on it. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
wrx89 said:
I'm guessing that nobody telling you this actually OWNS a 6 speed anything.... hell they probably have autos.. :rolleyes:

If you're worried about one extra gear, then you're shopping for the wrong car. If the STi is an option, get one :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or you could take the 6k you would save for buying a WRX and spend it on mods.. and make it faster then an STi :tongue:

But I would still take an STi if I had the money.. but I hardly afford my wrx as it is. The thing just begs for mods =/

·
Registered
65 Posts
silverscooby said:
How about you buy my car? It's a lot faster than a stock STi and costs 10k less! :)
By the way, what car you moving to after you sell yours Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you can afford the STI go for it

for the difference in price you couldn't upgrade the AWD system, tranny, brakes or suspension to the same place

then you get to the power differences

plus you get the great big goofy wing on the back :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts