Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Clubwrx my names jr I'm 19 year old college student I'm interested in buying a 2004 sti I've been into cars for as long as I could remember 4 years back I fell in love with the sti's there's noting like the subie rumble . Well now that I've already own my first car which was a 2006 Nissan Quest I've desided to follow my heart and purchase a 2004 sti. The thing is I'm on a low budget and will be looking for one with a mileage range of 100k to 130k and I was wondering if you anybody could offer me some advice on what I should do ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've never owned an STI, so I'm sure you'll get some better advice here from the other guys. BUT I'd personally be way too scared to ever buy an STI with that type of mileage on it.

Think about this: who buys an STI? Not a nice old lady who drives it very gently and never beats up on the engine/drivetrain, suspension, and brakes... 100,000 miles on an STI isn't the same as 100,000 miles on an Accord or Camry.

It never hurts to look, and maybe you can find one with only one owner and great maintenance records. Otherwise, I'd say don't do it unless you can spend money on repairs and parts.

·
voidin warranty since 05
835 Posts
maybe have someone with [wrx] auto experience and have them look over all the main points one would do before purchasing a car. once that checks out and youve purchased, do the routine maintenance for a car of that mileage. you can gogle a list of maintenance and replacement part work. ie. belts, water pump, brakes, etc.

just keep in mind, unless youre buying from an older individual that doesnt know the gem he or should bought, it was likely beat on at some point. i am a conservative driver that babies my car, and i have beat on it from time to time.

allow others to add their wisdom as many on here are speaking in your best interest. hope all works out homey.

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
Maintenance alone would drive me away from owning a higher mileage sti at 19. Never mind the insurance premium if you can get insurance on it.

Your money would be better invested in an accord or Camry. They will be cheaper to own, cheaper to insure, cheaper to maintain, easier to work on, likely last longer, and will be more comfortable and refined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
"19 year old college student" and "high mileage STi" do not go together.

Not only will the maintenance be hefty, but anything in your budget/mileage is going to need the timing belt and water pump service done to, so that's another $1500~ just in maintenance. Not to mention you'll likely want to mod it... and at that mileage, it's not going to last long.

My advice is to keep your quest until you're done with school, and get a WRX or STi that's going to LAST.

Don't want you to end up another "Subaru hater" because you bought one and it blew up ha

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
"19 year old college student" and "high mileage STi" do not go together.

Not only will the maintenance be hefty, but anything in your budget/mileage is going to need the timing belt and water pump service done to, so that's another $1500~ just in maintenance. Not to mention you'll likely want to mod it... and at that mileage, it's not going to last long.

My advice is to keep your quest until you're done with school, and get a WRX or STi that's going to LAST.

Don't want you to end up another "Subaru hater" because you bought one and it blew up ha
Fully agreed.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
was also thinking it about a earlier model civic is any thoughts on that ?
If you are dead set on getting rid of the Nissan, i would advise buying the newest/lowest mileage Civic you can comfortably afford.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Would you suggest me to keep the Nissan for the moment?
If the Nissan is in good working order, yes, keep it, and keep up with the maintenance. If you go the Civic route, get a base, in all likelyhood an Si will have been beat on.

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
Personally, I would shoot for an accord. A little more room, some more umph, and all in all a great all around vehicle that looks good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Clubwrx my names jr I'm 19 year old college student I'm interested in buying a 2004 sti I've been into cars for as long as I could remember 4 years back I fell in love with the sti's there's noting like the subie rumble . Well now that I've already own my first car which was a 2006 Nissan Quest I've desided to follow my heart and purchase a 2004 sti. The thing is I'm on a low budget and will be looking for one with a mileage range of 100k to 130k and I was wondering if you anybody could offer me some advice on what I should do ?
To be honest I kinda stopped after reading "19 year old college student interested in buying a 2004 sti" . . . but then I had to go back and read the entire thing . . . and my first gut reaction is pretty much the same thinking I have after reading the entire thing . . . only x 2.

"Low budget" + "college student" + older WRX/STI = Oftentimes a money pit.

A car of this vintage will typically have a lot of wear and tear even if it was driven by a responsible 65 year old woman . . . simply due to the passage of time and miles. Now figure in most drivers of a STI are not 65 year old women (although I have seen one older driver where I live who has/had a WRX . . . so it's possible.) It is far, far more likely that the car was bought and run hard, possibly modified by a younger guy . . . or even more likely many drivers . . .

I understand about the heart's desire . . . hell . . . I suspect most of us started lusting the WRX/STI at an early age . . . but resist the urge to go out and buy the most affordable car you can get now since in the long term I suspect you will not be happy with the added maintenance, etc. of having an older car.

My advice . . . whether you take it or not . . . save your money and if the Nissan is still relatively trouble free stick with them until after college. If having a reliable car is an absolute necessity at this point go with a Camry, Corolla, Accord or Civic . . . personally I'm partial to the Accord . . . they ride nice, have a lot of nice features and are relatively zippy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts