ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i live in san diego, and the whole city is on fire, and i was wondering, should i be driving my wrx around, with all the ash in the air. does my air intake filter out all the ash? and is there some kind of filter for the TMIC?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The TMIC is simply the same as your radiator air just flows in between the metal fins and comes out the other end..it just touches the metal..an air filters purpose to to completly filter out tiny particulates in the air. the only see something not working well on the air filter is if you are driving through a thick and heavy area and your filter is clogged..but i doubt your driving throught that much. keep it clean

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
on a sidenote where i work is close to a fire and my supervisor gave me a call this morning and said its not healthy breathing in area so I shouldn't come in, i've been "working from home all day. Well I did some work connecting through remote desktop but been on clubwrx longer probably haha.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,471 Posts
So i live in san diego, and the whole city is on fire, and i was wondering, should i be driving my wrx around,

No. Unless you have a reason to be outside, stay off the streets and stay off the phones.

If you have the stock factory intake you will be fine (although fuel stations need power to work the pumps, so fuel may be an issue here and there until power is restored everywhere). Aftermarket filters and intakes don't do as good a job filtering as the stocker, so YMMV.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i was thinking there might be something wrong with air intake if i drove around with this smokey air. thanks for the feed back

·
29,471 Posts
The correct intake will not have any problems. It's just not a good idea to be driving around needlessly in a crisis.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The correct intake will not have any problems. It's just not a good idea to be driving around needlessly in a crisis.
i agree
but if smoke is going into the engine can this be a problem ?

·
29,471 Posts
Motors do not like particulates. That's the main reason I will never use an aftermarket filter or intake system on my cars. With the winds here lately, the air is literally gray. There's soot, ash, and dust everywhere. I'm not keen on any of that stuff getting into the motor. The smoke is basically similar to exhaust fumes, with NOx and CO content. This stuff should be coming out, not going in (nobody quote that out of context OK?). Some of the carbon particles can be smaller than 5 um, meaning they can get past an air filter, into a motor, and past an oil filter too. The stock stuff is really good and the most I'd do is wait until it's all over, change the filters, and decrease the service time a bit if I'm really worried though.

Plus, it's a mess down there. No sense driving around at all unless it's really necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts