ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is this 04 STi for sale. Listed at 48,120 miles. After doing a google search on the VIN I get a CarFax reporting a mileage inconsistency of about 20k miles. The CarFax is also being provided by a completely different dealer. Does this feel extra shady or am I reading too far into it?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
What do you mean "is being provided by a completely different dealer?"

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean "is being provided by a completely different dealer?"
That when I googled the VIN it came back with a free CarFax report that was provided by a dealer other then the one who is currently selling the car. This dealer is also in a completely different state than where it is currently for sale. I can link you to the sale posting and the CarFax report if that would help

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
Ask the dealer selling the car for a carfax report. Odometer fraud is not terribly difficult with these cars. Also ask for the service history.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Got a link to the car being sold we can look at?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You're right to be worried about that. Either the VIN in the listing is wrong, the carfax is wrong, or something really fishy is going on here. I'd ask the dealer to explain it very carefully.

The last few carfax entries show:
Title #0096232888 Vehicle purchase reported
Title issued or updated
Title or registration issued
New owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Black
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Title #0096232888 Title issued or updated
New owner reported

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right to be worried about that. Either the VIN in the listing is wrong, the carfax is wrong, or something really fishy is going on here. I'd ask the dealer to explain it very carefully.

The last few carfax entries show:
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Title #0096232888 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Exactly what I was talking about. Did you see the part about the different dealer? I guess I'm gonna call them and ask the tough questions. I also noticed that unlike most dealer photos they left out showing the odometer.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yup I see the same issues that made you post this thread. I wouldn't necessarily be worried about the different dealer though. It's entirely possible a wholesaler bought it at auction and sold it to the dealer, or a non-Subaru dealer took it on trade-in and sold it to a Subaru dealer, or some perfectly reasonable and common explanation like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
NO WAY! I was looking at this car earlier today online. I've pulled the carfax (I work at a dealership) 7 owners! Granted I think some of that is dealer/wholesaler inventory. I've emailed the seller myself to see what's up with the rollback miles. Something is fishy there.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NO WAY! I was looking at this car earlier today online. I've pulled the carfax (I work at a dealership) 7 owners! Granted I think some of that is dealer/wholesaler inventory. I've emailed the seller myself to see what's up with the rollback miles. Something is fishy there.
I've done some research on Smart Cars Inc and from what I've been reading they're a pretty shady dealer. Lot's of posted reviews of some pretty terrible experiences. The problem is they always have WRX's lol. Just yesterday they posted a 2004 WRX with 97k for $11,000. I wish I lived closer so I could just go there in person one day. Let me know what they tell you because I have yet to hear back from them (emailed and left a voicemail about the STi).

PS. I guess this makes us buying competitors in our area lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is what I got back "I still have the WRX STi available. When would you like to come and take a look at it? The mileage is correct and will be no worries with financing.
Let me know."
I replied back with more questions. We'll see. Btw if you want to spend less than $11k there's a clean silver WRX in VA, full maintenance done on the carfax including t-belt. It's silver, 2004, and has about 96k on it. Offered me 10495 for it. It's at "Castle Motorsports" in VA. I've been doing some heavy browsing for the past month or so.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I'm not liking that response...looks like I'll be forgetting about those 2 as prospects.

I just looked at the one you mentioned. That car looks great! Virginia is a little further than I wanted to go though. I've been looking for about a month now so I might have to expand!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
ha yeah don't worry...the mileage is correct. You can trust him...he's a car salesman :rotfl:

I'd love to find the full story. 7 owners...changing mileage...wonder if there was any engine replacement done not mentioned, where there was actually a legal rollback of the odometer (if that's even possible?)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There's no such thing as a legal rollback of an odometer. Even if the engine is new, the rest of the car has all of the miles on it.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if they even bothered to look at the CarFax before they got the car. With CarFax being so popular these day you would think that would have wnated to know what to expect.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the mystery will never be solved. They sold the car over the weekend. Some poor soul bought a very shady vehicle :(

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
There's no such thing as a legal rollback of an odometer. Even if the engine is new, the rest of the car has all of the miles on it.
I didn't read the whole thread, but your response did catch my eye.

Yes, there is a legal rollback on an odometer. If your odometer has malfunctioned and a new or used unit was installed, you have to have the new/used odometer documented at the DMV. They will document the mileage the last recorded mileage of the car and put a mileage statement sticker on the door jamb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts