Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so close to buying a 2019 wrx sti with 4k miles and the owner had it for 6 months. I just keep hearing bad things about the car and how it will most likely fail on you and you should not break the warranty to put modifications on it. Now I am scared to void the warranty and I have some type of failure. I constantly see and hear ring land failure and the engine failing. I am not looking to go to far, just planning on going stage 2. Also changing wheels and putting coil overs on the car. Can anyone help me and tell me their experiences with their wrx/sti.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
You would be insane to buy any vehicle new and start modifying it. Every vehicle has pattern failures even Honda and Toyota. Subaru is known to have a few catastrophic failures though. Pistons and bearings. It'll happen on stock vehicles just as easily as a modified one.

If you want a faster car, buy a faster car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have had a certified preowned 16 sti for about 1.5 years now & have had few issues. After I put around 2k miles on it I checked the oil & noticed it was low but had no issues with that after I did an oil change. I had a squeaky belt after rain for a bit but that was fixed. I also had to recharge the a/c this year but no problem since.

I would agree about not modifying a new car but feel it has plenty of power for daily driving. I would like to do intake and exhaust for sound reasons but will likely wait till out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,814 Posts
I avoid modifying any car. I now have five cars and I prefer authentic parts for all.

I’d not buy a car I don’t like and then add imitation parts to “tune” or “improve” it. I’d buy a car I like instead and keep it maintained with authentic parts.

·
Æternum
16,122 Posts
Good. You should be scared to modify if you aren't prepared to front a repair bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am so close to buying a 2019 wrx sti with 4k miles and the owner had it for 6 months. I just keep hearing bad things about the car and how it will most likely fail on you and you should not break the warranty to put modifications on it. Now I am scared to void the warranty and I have some type of failure. I constantly see and hear ring land failure and the engine failing. I am not looking to go to far, just planning on going stage 2. Also changing wheels and putting coil overs on the car. Can anyone help me and tell me their experiences with their wrx/sti.
If it makes you feel better, I just had my 2019 STI delivered at 5 miles on it. And I don't know how to drive stick. Learning it on this bad boy. Well I own it now so I don't really have a choice ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everyone is going to tell you something different my guy, just do what you feel would make you happy with your car, if you break something because of it then fix it and move on. I'm not big on modding either but I feel like some things aren't really going to have a big negative effect mechanically ie: intake, exhaust, sway bars, mounts, brakes tires, things like that, what really is going to break your car is how you drive it. You just gotta do you man.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Small modifications may have a large impact on a warranty claim. Once again, a small modification will likely have a very small gain associated with it. However, it may carry the risk of having a very substantial warranty claim denied. All of my vehicles are stock. All of them are like me: old and slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts