Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie here and have not yet made any upgrades to my WRX Wagon. I think my first upgrade will be a short throw shifter but I need helping in choosing one and finding a garage to install it. I know Subaru makes thier own one but I don't know how good the after market ones are. I've been all over the net and have seen different models and prices but I don't have a clue still as to what to get. Can anyone please tell all the parts needed, what the best ones are and how much they run? Also, can a normal mechanic or my subaru delaer install this stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Registered
242 Posts
Go with the Kartboy, it's about $100 and you can install it yourself.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got the short throw shifter as part of my deal with Subaru. Seems like it works pretty good but haven't compared it to a regular shifter (or forgot what the stock felt like). But if I were to get it after I have the car, I would get the aftermarket shifter since it would be cheaper and probably just as good.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
the Kartboy is really well accepted and used around here. i have one (still gotta throw the bushings in) and love it.

it's about $100, and about a 30 min install. there are some newer comparable ones out there, but we've yet to see a review.

check out Vivid Racing they're a little pricey, but great service and selection.

the sti replaces the entire linkage also, where most aftermarket's just replace the shifter. it's a little overkill imo to replace the entire linkage for a shorter throw.

dR

awesome avatar btw. lol.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i think the optional STi shortthrow is a $300 or so cost which is more than the kartboy at $130 with bushings, but still worth considering.
i plan on getting the factory STi shortthrow with my car because i have heard it is easier to get used to for someone who hasn't driven stick very much. the STi seems to be a smoother shift, but not as short as the Kartboy is.
i think it was Dan that i spoke to about this a long time ago and he said the kartboy isnt necessarily the best, but it is very good at a very good price. he said he thought the STi shortthrow was the best made out there... hope i restated his words somewhat accurately there...
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Try the ILP Performance short throw shifter. Easy install. Kartboy bushings round it out. It'll be a bit stiff at first, but once you break it in, it's great. Rocky at ILP sells the shifter for $100- shipped. It has its own derlin bearings. Kartboy bushings are about $35. Another easy install. Now, adding this all up: (Figure $10 for shipping the bushings), $145.

The Subaru shifter is probably 4X that price.

Shifing is shifting. There is nothing easier about the Subaru shifter. It's gonna be stiff until its broken in and the mods take less than an hour. All you need are ramps and wrenches. All of the mods are posted with step by step pics.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I got my Kartboy shifter w/bushings for $130.00 that includes shipping. I installed it this weekend and I am really really happy with it. haven't done the bushings yet, but I am going to do it next weekend.
I bought it at Karboy.com and received it within days.:D
Sure beats the original equipment.;)

My hubby was impressed with how short the throw is. I am just happy because it makes shifting really easy and precise.:D :D :D

·
895 Posts
Kira said:
I got my Kartboy shifter w/bushings for $130.00 that includes shipping. I installed it this weekend and I am really really happy with it. haven't done the bushings yet, but I am going to do it next weekend.
I bought it at Karboy.com and received it within days.:D
Sure beats the original equipment.;)

My hubby was impressed with how short the throw is. I am just happy because it makes shifting really easy and precise.:D :D :D
some guys told me that when u install the kartboy, the shift knob sits uncomfortably low in the gearbox, making it sortof difficult to shift.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If memory serves, the general concensus is:

Stock shifter is "rubbery" and a little vague, but transmits very little vibration from the tranny.

STI shifter will result in shorter throws, and require slightly more force to get into gear, but it is smother and more precise than stock.

Kartboy with bushings requires a bit more force than the STI, and gives the shifter a very "notchy" feel, but there's almost NO vague feeling when shifting. It "snicks" into gears, with almost no play.

I went with the Kartboy. It's my favorite out of the bunch, and also the cheaper of the two.

My BEST advice is to try BOTH out, and pick the one that feels best to you. :) I'm pretty sure you can find a few folks in your area that would be willing to let to test out their setup.

·
Registered
779 Posts
some guys told me that when u install the kartboy, the shift knob sits uncomfortably low in the gearbox, making it sortof difficult to shift.
The Kartboy is a little shorter than the stock shifter but shifting is not difficult, unless you've got extremely short arms. For me, it's easier to shift with the Kartboy than with the stock shifter because I don't have to reach in order to get into 5th. This is coming from a person that just learned how to drive a stick about a month ago. I wish I would've had the Kartboy in there when I was learning, it would've made life a little easier for me.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts