Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a Kartboy shifter and it pretty much sucks. It's way too loose theres seems to be a gap between the linkage and the shifter and it vibrates loudly at higher rpms. I originally torqued it down all the way tightly and I may have bent the linkage somewhat, I'm not sure, it just kept on loosening up eventually anyways. It just shifts really bad, it's very notchy and I know there are little metal shavings in there, I am going to take a look inside again to see how bad it is. Is the STI short shifter the linkage and the shifter? How hard would that one be to install? Do we have any other choices for shifters? Everyone who drives it really doesn't like it, i've grinded by accident a couple of times because of it. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, it goes into gear and the shifter can even go down some more its because it's so loose and can rotate some on the pin. Any ideas?

·
2,210 Posts
Hmm.. your problems do not seem to be consistent with what everybody else (myself included) reports with this shifter, so maybe you just have a defective example. You could get in touch with Tom @Kartboy and see if he will issue you a replacement or give a full refund. Sounds like you might have problems with your oem linkage too..

The STi shifter does not include the linkage AFAIK. Unlike the Kartboy, the STi is the same length as stock, but has a slightly shorter throw than oem WRX due to a relocated linkage pivot.

-Pace

·
Registered
19 Posts
No problems here either. It is as smooth as butter. It sounds like something is messed up pretty bad. Mine is not loose at all and was a pain in the butt to put in. Once it popped it it's not coming out. I would call Tom and see what he says. How did you install it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my god I just took a look at it see how it was doing, right the the linkage is where the pin goes through and the shifter is attached is very grinded down and so is the shifter some what. I think it's also bent. I think the part that rotates was too small because of a defect and I ended tightening it all the way down bending the linkage and it seems when it loosened and when it was vibrating it was grinding itself down. Because of some defect I'm screwed now. Please what in the world should I do? Should I try putting the stock shifter in and say it isn't feeling that great and I noticed it looked grinded down? If I have to pay for that linkage part, how much is it? Damnit! Anyone please help if they can. THanks.

Here are the pics at this gallery, click the full images of the big ones which are the last ones.

Shifter Pics

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh for the love of god, I know what I did wrong now. I was just look at the DIY mods at some site and I noticed I had forgot to take the plastic washers off and use the rod in the center and transer them over, damnit! Anyone know if I could get away with an under warranty replacement or how much do you think the linkage would be?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I am the most pathetic DIY mod guy there is... Oh well, I seemed to have bent it back and got it back in with the plastic washers im now covered in grease and some blood. I'll probably have to take it back out cuz the grease in the ball joint is going to dry out with all that crap. Arrg, it's a learning experience though right? :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Learning the hard way will teach you the best. Good Luck.

·
2,210 Posts
KnightWRXRider said:
Oh for the love of god, I know what I did wrong now. I was just look at the DIY mods at some site and I noticed I had forgot to take the plastic washers off and use the rod in the center and transer them over, damnit! Anyone know if I could get away with an under warranty replacement or how much do you think the linkage would be?
Funny you say that because after replying to your post I was turning over in my mind what could have happened, and the only thought that occurred to me was, '..I wonder if he forgot to use the metal sleeve..' Bummer!

Well, from the photographs looks like your linkage is completely toasted. Order a new one from SOA. The shifter is probably fine, although you will almost certainly need a new bushing. Since you left out the sleeve, that's probably fine too. :D Make sure you tell the guys at the dealership what you did; it will brighten their day.

Good luck,
-Pace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts