ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my 2012 premium WRX yesterday, and I'm in the market to buy a short throw shifter. In my 2005 WRX that I bought used already had a short throw in it and it was very comfortable to use. I was just wondering what is the best brand and what exactly should I get. I've seen people posting about bushings and the short throw shifter but what is the best package I could get for short smooth shifts.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
+1 for kartboy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I was looking at Kartboy and Cobb, people with Cobb say the Cobb is better and vise versa.

Is the instal rough to do?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Look in the thread in my signature.All instructions are there.Install of the shifter is pretty easy.Bushings have to installed from under the car.Also not that difficult.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the adjustable and I really like it. I wanted to keep the height stock and liked being able to adjust the throw. I don't think it's so nice that its worth the higher price new....but I got it used.

I agree with everyone else here about the bushings, but I thought they were a pain to install. They can be pretty noisy too fyi. It's good first mod though.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Asharus said:
oh? i'm not the only one with teh squeaky shifter?
Loosen the pivot bolt on the shifter. Most squeaks are from that being too tight or from not properly applying grease during the install.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i have the dealer installed SPT STS and rear bushing. i complained about the squeaking when i started hearing it during the cold months. they "lubed" it and said the noise was normal either way. it stopped squeaking for a few months, but it came back but not as loud. now i no longer hear it, maybe because it's getting warmer or because i now have a turboback.

im thinking about getting some front bushings for it, or maybe even replacing the entire thing with a kartboy setup. i just don't want it squeaking even more.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So with the kartboy kit it will squeak? I don't really wanna deal with that

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
iAmSubified said:
So with the kartboy kit it will squeak? I don't really wanna deal with that
See below:
EJ257 said:
Loosen the pivot bolt on the shifter. Most squeaks are from that being too tight or from not properly applying grease during the install.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yea mine doesn't squeak. I just meant the bearings give off a good bit more noise than stock. Apply the grease liberally on the install for sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright sounds good

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the Kartboy front and rear bushings and love them. Easy install. In my opinion dont get anything from the dealer. The SPT stuff is OK but there is way better stuff out there. Plus people who work at dealers typically know nothing except how to perform routine maintenance. As for the Short throw, I dont have one because i love the way it shifts with just the bushing upgrades. if i was to purchase one i would definitely go with the Kartboy because i have been so pleased with the bushings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts