ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I am new to the forum and i am about to get a 2009/2010 wrx. I took a few test drives and simply loved it except for one thing. Didn't like the play in the shifter. It felt too Rubbery and loose ( compared to the ones in GTI and mazdaspeed3 ). But I believe there is a fix for this issue. On Subaru's website, while building the vehicle they give you an option of getting a Short throw shifter for $295.
I wanted to find out in case anyone else has gotten this shifter installed and wanted to get some feedback about the improvements you noticed.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the kartboy short shifter and bushings, I got them for about 130 bucks. putting in the short shifter was easy, putting in the bushing sucked. It's hard to get in there with my big hands. The difference it made though was night and day, good short crisp shifts, I wouldn't get a 09/08 WRX without it. I am not sure if the bushing are different with the Subie Short shifter, if they are not, I don't think you'd see the crisp shifts like the setup I got.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys.
Since they allow you to pick a short throw shifter while building the car, i'll go with that one. They say it reduces the play by 30% or so. If that does not feel too crisp then i am gonna have to get the Bushings from Kartboy as you suggested.
Although, paying for Labor charges for installation is going to suck.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have the factory option short throw shifter in my 09 wrx. I like it a lot over the "stock" shifter, though the knob height could be a bit lower IMO. However, the shift throw is a good length.

I have Kartboy shifter bushings sitting on my tool bench that still have to be installed but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you're still in the negotiation phase for the price of the car, tell them you want them to put in the better bushings for the shifter for free... it's worth a shot!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just bought a used 09 premium and it has an STP exhaust. I am not sure on the shifter, but from what I hear the throws are pretty long with out a STS. I have also read that the STP STS is not that drastic of an improvement over the stock shifter. I am not sure if it has one or not but I feel as if it must. The shifting throws seem very tight to me. Any ideas on if if the Premium comes with a STS and if so what kind it might be? STP ect. ? The way People discuss the STP and stock shifters I feel a if it may be another unless the STP isnt as bad as people say. May be upgraded Bushings?

(sorry about the resurrection)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts