ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
So I went to the sub dealer in NJ and they quoted me 560 for short thow shifter including install.
I heard that it's pretty easy to put one in, is it? Should I just buy one and go for it?
I never really did any sort of work on cars and I dont' want to void the warranty either.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My advice is don't buy the Subaru shifter, there are better/cheaper alternatives. The shifter itself is a 15 minute job, the bushings will probably take another hour or two. Great first DIY and instant gratification when the work is done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bushings?

My advice is don't buy the Subaru shifter, there are better/cheaper alternatives. The shifter itself is a 15 minute job, the bushings will probably take another hour or two. Great first DIY and instant gratification when the work is done.
Do I have to lift the car for that?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
jd92677 said:
I didn't use a lift when I did my car but on other's I did. Obviously much easier with a lift.
I think the OP is referring to having to raise the car, not necessarily raising the car with a lift ;)

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
was gonna say.. man there was no way I was gettin my chubby arse under the car to do those bushings without some sort of extra elevation (I used ramps, drove front on.. then jacked up rear by diff and slid ramps under rear wheels) .. the 4 ramp trick works awesome. The heat shield is a little bit a a pain and starting the rear shifter stay bushing bolts was a little challenging, but taking one's time and being careful its not a tough job. Installing the shifter is super easy.. just like the vid shows. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Keep in mind the subaru lever if it's like the STi one replaces the full linkage. That's not too light of an endeavor. Any aftermarket lever would be much easier, as it's just the lever.

I wouldn't recommend either lever without recommending all of the bushings at the same time - there is a front stay, rear stay, pivot bushings (easy ones), and linkage bushings (hard ones). I did them at the same time. Made a world of difference along with TiC (turninconcepts) crossmember bushings and a groupN tranny mount. Did add a good bit of noise though - I blame the rear bushing for some reason.... Way worth it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts