Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
short shifter question

I'm looking into gettint a short shifter and was just wondering...

when you put in the Kartboy shifter the knob is about 1" lower than OE. The Subaru short shifter kit comes with another piece that raises the shifter back to OE height, but the throw isn't as short...so can I get JUST the part from Subaru that raises the shifter and use a different aftermarket shifter...can I get just that one part?

also, I saw this Aluminum short shifter...can't remember the name of it at the moment but I think there's only one aluminum one on the market...anyone have experience with them? looks a lot more srutdy than the kartboy or OE shifter

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, that sounds right...so how is it?

·
Registered
779 Posts
EXPENSIVE!!!!:( :( :( :(

As far as performance goes...I am not sure about the particular shifter you are talking about but in general, B & M tends to make real quality stuff. My hubbie has a B&M ripper shifter in his Transam and we love it. Well, at least thats my experience with it. Can't complain about the quality, the only problem(for me at least) was the price. Hope this helps.
:)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Yeah B&M makes good products as far as I know. BPM is a different company....I actually don't have their shifter yet, but I was checking it out(along with a replica from the rally shop) and since it's billet alu, it seemed quite strong. I didn't get any measurements unfortunately to compare...but I don't think it's as short throw as the Kartboy(just a little less). It is however a fantastic looking piece...something you'd want to your shiftboot hanging just to see the raw satin alu.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sorry. I misread. That's what happens when you're at work and people are walking past you all the time. Doesn't give you time to catch small things like different letters.:eek:

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
The two main ones that people like are Kartboy and the STi short shifters because of their responsivness and the feel. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

·
Registered
907 Posts
How much are they? Is there a cheap place to get them? By the way, is the WRX cable actuated or rod linkage?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe that the WRX transmission is an internal shift rail... Neither rod or cable actuated (which are external).

Then again I could be completely mistaken. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kartboy is 130 with bushings STi is around 200 I think. I put in my kartboy two days ago and it's pretty good. I think the stock was smoother, this is more aggressive and stiff, I might have it to tight though. They say it hits the front plate in 1st and 3rd which mine does but I don't even notice really.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just installed my Kartboy w/ bushings this week. It is possibly one of the easiest installs imaginable. The whole process took about 20 minutes. IMO, the shifting is considerably more aggressive with a better feel. If you follow the instructions on scoobymods.com, the shifter won't rub in first gear. $130 well spent.

Not to mention, Kartboy's(kartboy.com) service was excellant. I ordered late Friday afternoon and I had the shifter in my hands by noon on Monday-in Tampa. Plus, they filled the shipping box full of candy.:D

·
Registered
907 Posts
cnoff said:
Plus, they filled the shipping box full of candy.:D
:eek: REALLY?!?! ...shoot, im going to order one right now (even without owning a WRX).

I heard the install can be done from inside the car?! :confused: When i changed out my shortshifter on the Si it was from underneith (rod linkage actuated).

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Jtek said:

I heard the install can be done from inside the car?! :confused: When i changed out my shortshifter on the Si it was from underneith (rod linkage actuated).

the install is done inside the car. the shortshifter itself is a pretty easy DIY mod. with a rubber mallet it should take 25 minutes. the bushing require you to get under the car, disconnect the linkage, and push out the old bushing. took me 1 hr with all the jack and stand time, two smokes, and a beer. ;)

dR

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any opinions on the MRT quickshifter?

Anyone have any opinions on this compared to the stock, sti, ilp or kartboy quickshifter? Or recommendations on a good short shifter?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My only experience is with Kartboy vs. Stock... And the winner is:

No comparison... The Kartboy piece is AWESOME! Install was a snap, shift action is 500% better and the transmission actually feels "mechanical" (read: notchier) instead of "mushy". Love it!

Aloha,
Richard...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Short Throw Shifter

I was recently reading an article on the WRX and noticed that one of the options that the editor wanted was the short throw shifter. What actually is that. Is that the distance between gears. Like a shorter time to go from first to seccond and from seccond to third... I am pretty sure that is what it is, but i just have to make sure. Thanks

Mike

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Re: Short Throw Shifter

Corrosive said:
I was recently reading an article on the WRX and noticed that one of the options that the editor wanted was the short throw shifter. What actually is that. Is that the distance between gears. Like a shorter time to go from first to seccond and from seccond to third... I am pretty sure that is what it is, but i just have to make sure. Thanks

Mike
you're exactly right. the subaru and most aftermarket ones clain to reduce throws by about 30-40%. my kartboy did just that.

great litte DIY mod. makes the car a lot more fun.

dR

1 - 20 of 182 Posts