ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 WRX with 905 miles and am anxiously awaiting upgrades. I've ordered a Blitz FATT DC III Turbo Timer and am thinking about getting an APS Uppipe installed in a couple hundred miles. Was just wondering if there was any feedback about the APS Uppipe?

I was also wondering if there are any good BOV's that arent obnoxiously loud, I would prefer one that was almost silent, any suggestions?

Last question is about exhuast suggestions. I've heard WRX's that have the stock muffler but have had a cat or two or three cut out and just a simple straight pipe put in and they sound awesome but I don't think they pass smog, do they? I want to get a turbo back system but don't know which one sounds the deepest and least "ricey," any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
First, welcome to the club :D

We've got all sorts of people in your shoes that have done all sorts of modding to their cars so if you're like me and need answers now (god [email protected] instant gratification :D ) I highly recommend the search button...really, you'll find answers to all of your questions.

Two, if you're looking for power upgrades, get yourself a boost gauge and rework your exhaust. I cant offer you any advice on the APS uppipe, but can and would recommend a JDM STi one instead. There is a whole thread on uppipe comparisons that you can find in the Engine Performance section.

After that, get yourself a good downpipe (there is a Bosal DP group buy u can do, its what I use and it works well) and a catback exhaust. Sounds like you and I are alike when it comes to ricey noise, so I might recommend going w/ the STi cat back or checking out this thread which has audio clips of all sorts of exhausts..

Third, as far as the BOV goes, dont waste the money. Take that coin and spend it on a Electronic Boost Controller or some kind of engine management. You'll get power and performance and no rice.

Best of luck and please feel free to post more questions if you have them (just make sure u use the search button first
;) )

-Boom Stick

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i have the APS up pipe but might just use a USDM sti pipe. have to discuss wit ha freend though. if i put it in i will review though.

from the APS website and theyr otherproducts i think they are probably some of teh highest quality components on the market...and you can tell by price.

the only reason i would go with the sti UP in my case is b/c i have access to one and could sell the APS and recoup some of my money...

you can go with various full turbobacks w/ or w/o cats. so its up to you. but you wont pass emissions w/o a cat.

theres a ton of combos to be ran.

my personal: UP--stromung ceramic coated DP, stock 3rd cat (untill i get the high flow replacement) and borla hush cat back (quiet but nice...no rice.)

welcome!

·
Registered
108 Posts
crikreef said:
I was also wondering if there are any good BOV's that arent obnoxiously loud, I would prefer one that was almost silent, any suggestions?
the stock BOV is a good BOV that is almost silent.

my understanding is that aftermarket BOV's do not change the performance of a stock REX in any way. people are mostly buying them for the sound.

trip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK well it sounds like the BOV's are a waste of money, so I'll scratch that off the list. I think I'm going to stick with the APS Uppipe.

Which would give better HP and sound, uppipe or downpipe?

Also, I have the 3 yr/ 36k warranty so wouldn't getting any sort of ECU or engine management void the warranty?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
the UP/DP will void ya regardless. it really all depends on the dealer and how cool they are. find a mod friendly one and make sure none of your mods cause the problem and youll be fine.

cobbs AP is undetectable by subaru so it wont bother your warantee

if you do the silencer hack youll ge tthe turbo sound without being obnoxious. do a search for the how to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts