Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got my dream sti and totally loving it. Started working on cars with my dad as a kid and never really stopped. Started out low n slow with a 2005 ford focus. slammed her, custom paint, custom body kit but I was always drooling over the sti. Waited a long time to get the one I wanted and I'm head over heels in love with my shiny new 19 white sti. Used to race my husband's trans am ws6 all the time but In the grand scheme of things I know next to nothing about a turbo. Always open to learning from others. Excited to mold this beauty into the car I've always dreamed of. Happy to be here!!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,595 Posts
Hi welcome white is a great choice.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new STi! World Rally Blue is better..... but white is a nice choice.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
I’d leave body kits out of it.

A turbo car isn’t really that much different from natural aspirated engines as far as maintenance. They may need earlier oil changes, and can be sensitive to oil but that’s about it. The only real difference is tromping on it in higher gears. It’s a good path to blowing the engine up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No body kit plans. Just turbo back exhaust and a blow off valve for now. Well see where I go from there. I'll leave the body kits for the slow focus.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
No body kit plans. Just turbo back exhaust and a blow off valve for now. Well see where I go from there. I'll leave the body kits for the slow focus.
The factory one is way more than capable of handling its job. I’d leave it alone for now. Unless it’s a full recirculating type it’s a bad idea, and spending money on a full recirculated bov would be a waste when you could save it for a better exhaust and tune

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Stay away from atmospheric blow off valves. I know its cool to hear the "psshhhh" but it is actually not healthy for an engine running a MAF (mass air flow sensor). Running a bov vented to the atmosphere will result in a bad time on a MAF based car. This is because the air escaping has already been measured by the MAF sensor. The ECU determines a specific amount of fuel to inject based on the expectation of this air being present. If this air is vented, the car will run rich. This will happen every time air escapes through the BOV. Running rich can result in fouled spark plugs, surging idle, backfires, premature cylinder wall wear, and other issues in the long run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts