Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt you normal, how do i shift from back down to first question, actualy far from.

Its how do you go the other way around!!!! lol

I have driven plenty of standards so far, most BMW's and i have never had this much of a problem trying to shift smothly from first to sec when accelerating hard, not Necessarily to the floor. I either have the stick pop out slightly from first, like there is to much load on the trany, (not disigaged on the clutch long enough). Or clutched down for so long, and pulling down to sec, and feels like a eternity has gone by, got to sec and the revs dont match, and you get a rough shift once again. I cant find a happy medium.

HELP!!!! im tired of sucking up gas practicing, and tired of possible causing wear and tare on my clutch and gears.

Will

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, thank alot for the help.

Just wanted a lil help, havin probs shifting smoothly between first and sec.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you ever went to grab second gear, when accelerating hard in first, and have the stick slightly pop out into your hand when your going for second????

Not light chiped tooth like pop out of gear, but not a smooth transistion out of first.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Verdugo said:
Easy guys...lol

Seriously Cheveyboy, wtf are you talking about?

I think that's what they were trying to find out.

When you shift from first to second:
1. back your foot off the gas
2. push the clutch in
3. move the shift lever to second. do not pull hard.
4. add small amount of gas
5. let clutch out quickly

experience will teach you the timing for all of this, and your optimal shift points for various types of driving.

also, what you did when you were doing what you did before ain't what you should be doing unless what you were looking to do was to do the thing you were talking about with the pop and not happy shift into after on top of 2nd not 1st but backwards quite the opposite in fact of what you were looking to do when you were doing that

here you go:

http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm

·
Registered
847 Posts
cyrilgrey said:
also, what you did when you were doing what you did before ain't what you should be doing unless what you were looking to do was to do the thing you were talking about with the pop and not happy shift into after on top of 2nd not 1st but backwards quite the opposite in fact of what you were looking to do when you were doing that

yeah! what he said!:p

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
this is almost on topic:
Ebay ad for GReddy turbo timer:

The automatic timer and the pre-setting timer, battery voltage indicatory functional former function that way, the circumference lap which is convenient to battery warning function and circuit travelling et cetera, passing lap measurement function, in addition, the lead/read lap function which can designate data verification as after the measuring, memory of the maximum of 30 laps is possible. (With other companies make 5 - 10 laps) When installation is made to do in order, the safe circuit at vehicle speed wires with the safe circuit as more secure ones, furthermore active function increased, speedometer indication, speedometer peak hold and speed warning function, 0 - the 200m, 0 - the 400m, 200 - the 400m, 0 - the 100km/h, 0 - the 200km/h, loaded the attack mode function which can measure various time attacks of 50 - the 100km/h.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
practice, i used to shift roughly, but just because practice, gettin a better feel for the car you learn. maybe not shifting quick enough.

and take it easy on him guys, come on now

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks cyrilgrey for atleast not riping me a new hole... Just wanted to find out if anyone else thinks the first to second shift was a tad tricky to get to come out smooth, in the rex.

I have no problems in any other car.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Cheveyboy said:
Thanks cyrilgrey for atleast not riping me a new hole... Just wanted to find out if anyone else thinks the first to second shift was a tad tricky to get to come out smooth, in the rex.

I have no problems in any other car.
I'm sorry they were going nabisco on ya. normally were not like that. but it was kinda hard to tell what you were asking. I will check later how it goes from first to second, bc i honestly dont remember the degree of smoothness on that shift

·
Registered
779 Posts
I find that shifting from 1st to 2nd in my WRX is quite different from shifting in any other car. When I drive the Transam, I can get a lot smoother shifts without any work. The more you drive your WRX the more you'll learn exactly what you need to do to make your shifts smoother. It's just kind of hard to get used to.
Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I get the same problem trying to shift into second. I slowed down my shift until I got a better feeling of it enganging. If I throw it into second real fast it pops out and grinds. God I hate that sound. Just takes some time and practice.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
oh another thing for you, how many miles are on your car?
i'm at 2,500 now and the transmission is shifting much better than it did when i bought it.
i was thinking about what i do to get smooth shifts today, and it seems to me the faster you put the clutch in, the smoother your shift will be. get that pedal down quickly, then smoothly slide the lever back. you'll get the hang of the timing, it's very tricky in this car.
even if it feels like you're shifting slowly, look at the traffic behind you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts