ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I bought a 2005 wrx mt, i have ben driving it for about 3 months (10,000 miles). This is my first mt car (im 19) so i have some questions cause i have been reading somethings about shifting and all that. When first starting up my car and it is really cold out i'm obviously in 1st so im going along and i go into 2nd but it seems harder to go into second when it is cold and say like when im comeing to a stop i put the clutch in and put it in to 1st its hard to put it in. THIS ONLY happends when i first start it up when the engine is cold, is this normal? Another question i have is when im in second gear and im slowing down to say take a turn around 2000rpm i hear this sound like a grinding type sound not like really loud but just loud enogh so i can hear it and it is only in second gear and only around 2000rpm, If i slow down faster i dont hear it(i, asked my dad and my older brother if they thought it sounded bad but they said it didnt but i dont trust them). LAST question, when i want to shift fast like from 2nd gear all the way up to 4th i sometimes go around 5,500rpm put clutch in shift and lift clutch really fast and it kinda makes this clunk sound and it pulls me back. i kno your probly ganna say im stupid or what ever but i just want to kno now so i can do things properly so i dont break my car : \ ...... i always ask my dad and brother these questions and they say just enjoy my car and i do, well thanks in advance : )

·
Registered
0 Posts
well.. clunking gears is not a good thing.. especially in a wrx tranny... but the sound at 2000 rpms idk.. could be bad.. could be somethin others just dont notice:screwy:

but the hard to put into first and second when the car is cold is normal.. my wrx does the same thing:tongue:.. its just cold!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i kno this is going to sound stupid but how do you shift fast with out lifting the clutch really fast when you want to go fast :confused:

But thanks for the reply

Edit:
OH and its when like the rpms are going down that i hear the grinding noise its not when its just at 2000 if i actually push the gas it goes away its when im slowing down

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
franjulga said:
i kno this is going to sound stupid but how do you shift fast with out lifting the clutch really fast when you want to go fast :confused:
Practice - disengaging the clutch really fast isn't really good for it. With practice, you'll learn the exact speed you can disengage without the harsh jerk ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am also haveing an argument with one of my friends...i am saying it is ok to down shift to a stop.. from say 4th to 3rd to 2nd and just push clutch in to come to the stop...im not saying stoping with only the gears but with the break too obviously so like 50 - 50. HE says i should just push the clutch and and put the break on....i think he is dumb...

I kno i do need practice i just wish my practice was on like a civic or some other crap, not on my baby : P

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
franjulga said:
i am also haveing an argument with one of my friends...i am saying it is ok to down shift to a stop.. from say 4th to 3rd to 2nd and just push clutch in to come to the stop...im not saying stoping with only the gears but with the break too obviously so like 50 - 50. HE says i should just push the clutch and and put the break on....i think he is dumb...
You will stop faster if you downshift through the gears than if you remained in 4th. I always downshift at the bottom-end of my gears (6th-45, 5th-35, 4th-25-30, 3rd-20, 2nd-5-10).

franjulga said:
I kno i do need practice i just wish my practice was on like a civic or some other crap, not on my baby : P
That's why you should always get comfortable driving a manual before you buy a performance car (I was lucky that my uncle had a spare truck that he let me take for a few weeks before I bought my car, as it'd been awhile since I drove a manual regularly) - you'll learn/re-learn the basics, and then the adjustment to your "baby" will just be like it is for any new car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts