ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-Just wondering if anybody has some pointers how they shift smoothly with thier cars. Been doing a lot of researching lately on revmatching, shifting up while under heavy excelleration, ect.

-found with subies particually 1-2 seem to be the hardest gears to shift smoothly under heavy acceleration.

-I have found also to be successful at these technics you pretty much have to have them at a subconscious level particually with the revmatching.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
-Just wondering if anybody pointers how they shift smoothly with thier cars. Been doing a lot of research lately on revmatching, shifting up while under heavy excelleration, ect.

-found with subies particually 1-2 seem to be the hardest gears to shift smoothly under heavy acceleration.

-I have found also to be successful at these technics you pretty much have to have them at a subconscious level particually with the revmatching.
My car shifts pretty smooth. im stock on tranny.
For downshifting tap the gas before downshifting and it will cause less buck.

FOr upshifting it depends on which RPM you shift.

Maybe this is another case on why the 2.0liter is better than 2.5?
lol! :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
be gentle and wait on the trans to let you into gears. do not force. slowly let out on the ride, but dont ride it. and try giving it gas maybe earlier than you usually do

·
Registered
794 Posts
i hate to sound like a **** but it just takes experience just start out slow until your comfortable enough to shift more quickly. you have to get a feel for your friction point as well.. as you shift watch your revs throughout the whole shift

·
Registered
390 Posts
Shifting smoothly while under wide open throttle is a bit of an oxymoron in my opinion. You can definitely do it relatively smoothly, but I have a feeling that if you are redlining it, you want to shift as quickly as possible, and those are always going to be a bit jerky. And yeah, 1-2 shift is pretty jerky in this car. You either nail it perfectly, or you don't and it's rough no matter what.

Normal driving? I used to flat shift a lot earlier in my manual driving experience, as soon as I eliminated that habit, my shifting got silky smooth. It went from my friends heads bobbing like bobble head dolls to them jokingly asking if my car had become an automatic.

Down shifting, it took me a while to learn, and it's not fully necessary, but double clutching makes down shifting silky smooth, if you do it right. Took me about two weeks of deliberately thinking about what I was doing to learn how to do it right, but now I do it naturally without thinking about it, and it makes heel-and-toe shifting even smoother. Not to mention it's an attention grabber when you rev going around a corner. I need to get my catback so that it's louder. :D

When I rode in your car for a short while, you seemed fine to me Rob, both on that all out blast and normal driving. But hey, what do I now, I've only been driving a stick for four months. :p

·
Registered
171 Posts
Someone give me a crash course on these terms and what they mean/how you execute them?

I've been driving 5speeds since i was 16 and tested in a one but don't know all the lingo. I've had people I'd never driven with get in my car and been amazed at my shifting/driving a 5speed for my age, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything you guys are naming ...

I know what rev matching is. Flat shifting? Is heal toe with the brake and gas one one foot?

And double clutching, I'm pretty sure I DONT know what it is even if i have done it or do it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
hahaha vecdran... u haven't seen the other side of havok yet. hahahha It was my first time letting him take turbolad and me down to lowe's. It was crazy. He's really bad at rev. match. hhahhaha I know havok wouldn't take this seriously cuz it THE TRUTH. hahahahha It was interesting how he put up this thread cuz we were talking aobut it on the top food meet. It was fun. Like you said he's getting better, I do believe that cuz i know he doing lots of research abut it. I just need more POWWAAAA mmuuahhhhh...
Turbolad make me very sad the other day on the freeway cuz he made me throw the CEL. I'm gonna get him back after my protune. WA chout now..!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yah, Brock speeks the truth about my shifter skills that day. I have gotten better but.. Still feel guilty when i don't revmatching or slip the clutch. Last night i took my car for a drive and basically made myself say the steps out loud to revmatch. Despite the racing of rpms when i tapped the gas before down shifting it was pretty smooth. I guess more often then not i think about doing it too long or just let the cluth out slowly w/t tapping the gas. I really appreciate everybody input on thier technicies.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
As you already kow, we alway do drives on Mountain or whinny roads. Revmatch and downshifting is a must. My suggestion is to try to do it on your normal driving. I would try to run on fourth gear at maybe 40 mph and try to down shift to third. I hope you been paying attention to your RPM vs. MPH. It helps you to know how fast you're going compare to how high your RPM is. Having the knowledge of rpm vs. speed would help you to not going 90mph and shift to 3rd for example (wrrrrreeeeee). Remember down shift and revmatch bro. I think we should go for a drive and I'll show you how it's done. It's bad on this weather but we'll c if something can be arrange something. Let me know bro.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Someone give me a crash course on these terms and what they mean/how you execute them?

I've been driving 5speeds since i was 16 and tested in a one but don't know all the lingo. I've had people I'd never driven with get in my car and been amazed at my shifting/driving a 5speed for my age, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything you guys are naming ...

I know what rev matching is. Flat shifting? Is heal toe with the brake and gas one one foot?

And double clutching, I'm pretty sure I DONT know what it is even if i have done it or do it.

Double clutching is when letting out the clutch in neutral, before clutching and shifting into the next gear. I haven't found it necessary in my subaru?? My dad did some truck driving, it was a must in some of the older trucks or crash boxes that don't have synchros.

·
Registered
54 Posts
any1 have problems getting it into reverse. sometimes i have to move the car up just to put it in reverse. i dont want to force it in

·
Registered
663 Posts
any1 have problems getting it into reverse. sometimes i have to move the car up just to put it in reverse. i dont want to force it in
You don't have to move the car. Just the way the synchro works, go first, second and then reverse with the clutch in and it will drop right into reverse.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Allen is right, subarus just have a funny clutch like that. Just do what Allen said and you should be able to get into reverse w/t any issues.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you let go of the clutch all the way then step on it again and now you can put it in reverse really easy. Try that.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yah, i'm down for getting together and showing me how it is done. You haven't driven my car yet since i got it protuned so. Candice is away visiting her mom right now and i feel lonely when i get home so. Feels wierd going to sleep w/t her being there. Hit me up whenever not that candice ever prevented me from kicking it with the guys.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
A transmission fluid change can really smooth things out. I just used this mix: 2 qts Redline 75-90W NS Synthetic, ~1.7 qts Redline Synthetic Shockproof. Want smooth? Try this.

Thanks for the heads up JR. :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Humm.. I will have to check that out.. How often are you suppose to change your transmisstion fluid anyways???

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Humm.. I will have to check that out.. How often are you suppose to change your transmisstion fluid anyways???
Every 30k I beleive. There are a few popular "cocktail" recipes out there for tranny fluid blends. I would highly recommend this one.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will check it out for sure.. I'm at like 24kish in my car now.. I know i'm running mobil 1 full Synthetic but no idea what is in the tranny.. Gotta be whatever oem put in there.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Well then you are not too far off. :)

If you DIY get a new copper drain plug washer from Subaru. Add the last roughly 0.7 qt of shockproof a little at a time as it is easy to overfill.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts