Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yea... whenever i floor it and shift fast at 4k my car jerks.. anyone know what im doing wrong? if i put a little gas when i step on the clutch to shift, it goes smoother. any tips?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The wrx gearshift is a mysterious beast. Might as well use an Ouija board as guess when the uptake point is gonna hit. :rolleyes: x 1000!! I've been driving my wrx for well over a year now and it's still a crap-shoot getting a smooth 1-2 shift. If I haven't learned by now how to do it 100% of the time, it's a mechanical thing. :rolleyes:

-snowcat

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm i dunno guys... i think its my fault or my lack of skill because i can shift smoothly on my dads g mobile when accelerating. i think what might be a small factor is his car is an 89 corolla with almost 189k miles on it

·
Banned
48 Posts
yeah the 1-2 shift is quite tricky, especially when the tranny is not warm. i find that letting go of the gas a fraction of a second later than the clutch makes for a smooth shift.

·
Registered
183 Posts
G rex said:
so yea... whenever i floor it and shift fast at 4k my car jerks.. anyone know what im doing wrong? if i put a little gas when i step on the clutch to shift, it goes smoother. any tips?
It might be the turbo dumping in to the engine. I had that problem in 1st and 2nd until I change my uppipe. I think the cat had something to do w/ it. Does the car buck after you floor it then let off of the gas?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,726 Posts
I'm beginning to suspect most of the people that complain about the mechanical quality of the gearbox getting in the way of their shifting have not owned or driven an Alfa, eh? I am still not sure anyone knows where 2nd is in many of those cars.

Much more expensive cars have much cruder feeling gearboxes. One example: 1970s Aston Martins.

To shift smoothly in the Impreza, just lift off slightly while you disengage the clutch, shift the lever, and then get back on the throttle lightly as you engage the clutch. It'll still jerk sometimes, but that's life.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Traditionally one would lift the throttle before clutching in, then clutch out before hitting the throttle.....of course in fast shifting they often sort of mesh into a single step.

In any case, a well timed shift does not require slipping the clutch with some throttle and etc. Do note that your lift will also depend on the rpms you are changing gears...ie at low rpm upshifts, your rpms don't have to fall as much as near redline ones.

The Subaru gearbox and shift assembly is raw and mechanical....which I value because as such it is actually quite a good one(but not silky like older Hondas). Most people are used to no-feel cable systems which while easy to actuate provide no feedback. As an example of another meaty hand rod into the gearbox shifters.....Lambos...except the Gallardo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
schischwein said:
Traditionally one would lift the throttle before clutching in, then clutch out before hitting the throttle.....of course in fast shifting they often sort of mesh into a single step.

In any case, a well timed shift does not require slipping the clutch with some throttle and etc. Do note that your lift will also depend on the rpms you are changing gears...ie at low rpm upshifts, your rpms don't have to fall as much as near redline ones.

The Subaru gearbox and shift assembly is raw and mechanical....which I value because as such it is actually quite a good one(but not silky like older Hondas). Most people are used to no-feel cable systems which while easy to actuate provide no feedback. As an example of another meaty hand rod into the gearbox shifters.....Lambos...except the Gallardo.
That, and the teeth on the WRX's gears are small...

·
Registered
691 Posts
id say the thing that bothers me most is the little rpm jump that occurs during the 2-3, and 3-4 shift on partial throttle. You have to consciencly lift off the gas before declutching to avoid this. Anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
117 Posts
One thing that has helped me is to fully press in the clutch during shifts at lower speeds. At higher speeds you only need to push enough to engage it. This really helped me smooth things out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, here are some things I have noticed about my WRX. My WRX has a heavier than normal flywheel due to the "fix" that subaru has for clutch chatter, so your mileage may vary.

1. If you push the lever in fast the system seems to take longer to match when you let the clutch back out (engage the wheel). If instead you feel for the point that the stick slides in like greased ball bearings, then it feels like you double clutched it when you re-engage the clutch.

2. If you double clutch it feels like many of the other cars I've driven with nice trannies. With my clutch though if you give it more than a tap (after double clutch) it will slip and then thump back to where it was.

3. If you add gas while letting the clutch up, but take your time about it you will notice that even though in neutral it should have hit only 2krpm, when the clutch starts to engage it will bump up to 2.5krpms then settle back to the 2krpm that you were originally trying to hit. - perhaps an oddity on my car, or bad load management.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What I found that works best if double clutching from 1st to 2nd. I just let the revs drop a slip a split second longer, and I rev it back up and let the clutch out at a certain point. It grabs quickly, and its easier on the clutch than sliping it from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Can't say that I have this problem normally. When the engine is cold shifting can cause a bumy ride mostly because of my own errors, like dumping the clutch to fast or reving beoynd the "speed" of the gearbox and relaeasing the clutch to fast.

However It's just a matter of how slowly you slip your clutch.. To get a nice unnotisable shift you have to slip the clutch, but then again you don't want to slip the clutch to much because it cost money to replace :rolleyes: LOL.. So what do you do? Something between much clutch wear and a bumpy ride.. :) But.. its all up to you.. I never have hard or bumpy shifts from any gears unless I race or sometimes when I shift from 1 to 2 when the engine \ tranny is cold.
Why? bacause I don't give the flywheel enough time to match the speed of the tranny.. My fault I can fix it if I want to. But it's no problem..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Roffa said:
Can't say that I have this problem normally. When the engine is cold shifting can cause a bumy ride mostly because of my own errors, like dumping the clutch to fast or reving beoynd the "speed" of the gearbox and relaeasing the clutch to fast.

However It's just a matter of how slowly you slip your clutch.. To get a nice unnotisable shift you have to slip the clutch, but then again you don't want to slip the clutch to much because it cost money to replace :rolleyes: LOL.. So what do you do? Something between much clutch wear and a bumpy ride.. :) But.. its all up to you.. I never have hard or bumpy shifts from any gears unless I race or sometimes when I shift from 1 to 2 when the engine \ tranny is cold.
Why? bacause I don't give the flywheel enough time to match the speed of the tranny.. My fault I can fix it if I want to. But it's no problem..
How about a grind when shifting from 3rd to 4th? That's what I get when I'm driving hard...

:(

·
Registered
525 Posts
04EJ20 said:
How about a grind when shifting from 3rd to 4th? That's what I get when I'm driving hard...
:(
Hmm..
You either have a bad gearbox, use to thin oil in you gearbox, shifting to fast or you don't press the clutch competly or release it to fast (before you have shifted completly).

It should not grind ! If it does something is wrong and will get worse.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Roffa said:
Hmm..
You either have a bad gearbox, use to thin oil in you gearbox, shifting to fast or you don't press the clutch competly or release it to fast (before you have shifted completly).

I shift too fast when racing and the syncro hasn't got up to speed yet. It doesn't happen when I shift slower and smooth...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Roffa said:
Hmm..

Or it could just be a bad design, and everyone who doesn't grind is the exception :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts