ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site but most of all I'm new to owning a Subaru WRX STI. I bought a 2017 Subaru WRX STI with 31,000 miles on it. Didn't see any issues after I bought it. I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but I had to have the car jumped. After that is when I noticed the problem I have now. So as I go through my gears when I get to 4th( mostly happens in the higher gears) as I let off the clutch pedal and give it gas it will rev high and my dash will shift down from 4th to 3rd. It does this in just about all the high gears during sport and sport sharp mode. I had it in 6th gear a few times where I get those little shift arrows to shift up. Took it to the dealer seeing it has a 60,000 mile power train warranty and i have a warranty through my loan company. The dealer said I had a bad clutch. They want me to pay $2,000 to fix it. I have talked with a few people I know and they said it don't sound like a clutch issue. I have replaced the battery as I was told the battery was bad aswell. Has anyone one else seen this or heard of this. I've drove plenty of standard transmission cars and trucks. I'm not hard on my car. If anyone know anything or could point me in the right direction that would be appreciative.

·
11,238 Posts
You stomp the gas and the revs shoot up and you don't go? That's clutch slippage. Bad clutch, or hydraulic system maybe.

The other part I don't understand. Are you saying when you tromp on it the shift indicator tells you to downshift? That sounds right to me. You shouldn't be stomping on it in higher gears anyway. Good way to join the dead engine squad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You stomp the gas and the revs shoot up and you don't go? That's clutch slippage. Bad clutch, or hydraulic system maybe.

The other part I don't understand. Are you saying when you tromp on it the shift indicator tells you to downshift? That sounds right to me. You shouldn't be stomping on it in higher gears anyway. Good way to join the dead engine squad.
No I'm not stomping on the gas. As I let off of the clutch pedal and start pressing the it will go but a few seconds later the RPM might rise a little higher and on my dash it will go from 4th to 3rd. I never let the RPMs get to high to protect the engine. But if its clutch slippage wouldn't it happen all the time? Not just in the sport or sport sharp mode.

·
11,238 Posts
When the clutch is completely engaged does the rpm rise without the car accelerating in kind? If yes, your clutch is shifting.

If you are half on the clutch and pressing the gas the clutch slips, and do it a lot and you'll toast it in no time.

What rpm is this happening at? It almost sounds like you are in a way high gear and just stepping on the throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts