Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i need some help. Whenever i try shifting from 1st to 2nd while going WOT i always get a jerky shift. It's only from 1st to 2nd too, i can shift fine into 3rd but going from 1st to 2nd always gives me a jerky shift. Now when i drive normally like below 3500rpms i can shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd, so i dunno what im doing wrong. Ive tried to let the clutch out slower and faster but nothing really helps.. Any ideas??

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
at what point throughout the shifting process does the shift become jerky?

1. after you push the clutch down?
2. after you let the clutch out?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after i let the clutch out. if i let it out slower it ends up slipping too much and if i let it out even faster, i get a really bad jerk..

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
I forgot to ask if you have a short throw shifter...

Depending on how long you take to shift also makes a difference in how your gas/clutch action will work out.

If you feel like you are not smooth after when bringing the clutch out it means that you need just a little bit more modulation of the clutch pedal before completely releasing it. Slip it a little bit more before completely releasing it while at the same time giving some gas.

My process looks something like this.

1. gas
2. clutch
3. shift
4. clutch out 3/4 quickly
5. gas a little to keep rpms up
6. slip clutch and release
7. gas...till next gear.

This works for me and I don't smell a my clutch cooking nor do I feel my tranny kicking violently, so I think I am doing things ok...!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The procedure is let off gas(ie not WOT powershifting), clutch in, shift, clutch out, gas.....Powershifting is bad for the drivetrain and slipping the clutch on the way out is pretty useless. It doesn't make you go faster and you are putting more wear on the clutch and syncros when you do variations of powershifting.

It doesn't really matter if you have a short shift or not....that's more personal preference than anything(including shift speed...a negligible difference). Accurate, precise shifts with appropriate actions are more important.......hamfisting the shifter and attempting to gas it earlier with make the ride unsmooth and is pretty useless for speed(you are either slipping the clutch or spinning up the syncros)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what im doing i think:confused: . im gonna watch my feet now as i shift maybe im not letting off the gas completly....

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
2k4WRX said:
thats what im doing i think:confused: . im gonna watch my feet now as i shift maybe im not letting off the gas completly....
You don't really have to lift off the gas completely, just a lift would do...but the idea is your rpms have to drop(higher gear, means lower ratio thus need for lower rpm at same speed). Mismatched rpms are causing the jerkiness. There is quite a large ratio difference between 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool

Cool, i got my 1-2 shift smooothed out:) My problem was that i wasn't giving it gas soon enough which made the shift jerky... Now im all good, i jus gotta get quicker;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
shift problem.....

ok, now i have a similar problem shifting into 4th gear.. not jerky.. just a crunch sound.. like the syncro's are'nt meshing or something?????? any ideas for this? thanks to all for the help.. wish the dealer could have more input on things, there just like...DOH...... i don't know...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts