Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple question: when to shift? I wanted to know what you guys do to reach 5th gear with everything stock or almost and having a guy on your ass. Do you guys push every gear to the redline and shift or there is a better procedure. I keep reading that the boost seems to go away after 5000, so I would assume that I need to shift at that time to get a full boost in the next upper gear. Does this make sense or I'm an idiot? Sorry but I'm not a real expert in that domain.

I've been driving stick since 1993. All kind of cars. So I have enough experience on how to handle a standard. Not really how to get the best out of a standard.

Have you guys heard about the Renault Super 5 GT Turbo before? That was a lot of fun. Light, 130HP, turbocharged and so rigid! A real toy. The lag seemed to be less than on my WRX though... I wonder why.

Ticrab

·
Registered
218 Posts
when i drive fast shifting at redline seems slow, because once over 6000rpms i can feel power lose. i was always told to shift at peak horsepower. so i shift a little after 5000 rpms. it will be different if your car is modded, like with a mbc your peak hp will probably be a little higher.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts