ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my REX last week. its a WR Blue Pearl 05. It's both my first car and my first manual. Im not sure if the problem im having is because of my lack of experience or the car. When im accelerating fast, the shift between 1st and second is really jerky. Like i mean i would have to let the clutch out real slow if i wanted it to be smooth. between 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5 though i can just pop the clutch right out and not have any jerkiness at all. Can anyone give me some advice on smoother/faster shifting.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. i try to be carefull. cant really go to fast anyway. still in the break in period

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
try giving it gas a fraction of the second faster than you release the clutch. And also practice makes perfect, i can shift and downshift so you wouldn't know that i changed a gear if you didn't know it's stick.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Honestly, I've been driving stick for 22 years, and the transition from 1st to 2nd on my WRX is the worst of any car I've ever owned. (except for my '70 VW Bug, which had a fried synchro on 2nd gear...)

·
Registered
108 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

that's good news. i've only got about 5k miles on my wrx at this point. i thought i was starting to go crazy.

i too have ample years of driving stick under my belt, but the REX has me perplexed. the shift from first to second sticks horribly. i don't understand how you cats are drag racing with a clutch like that.

trip.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I find for the 1st to 2nd u gotta "slip" it just a lil bit with just a lil gas as u gently let off the clutch pedal...it all takes practice.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i learned stick in my 04 WRX as well.

The main thing i think is just to be patient and slooooooooowly let off the clutch when you shift to 2nd gear (espcially if the car is warming up it'll be especially jerky). its all about left and right foot cordination and timing. Just be really patient and pretty soon it'll be a piece of cake. 1-2 is the only hard shift.

Also in the break in period REMEBER

1. VARY engine speeds.. (probably the most overlooked)
dont just cruise on the highway at a certain speed the whole time.

2. Dont go over 4K~ rpm
its such a cock tease cause you know your car can handle so much more, but just be patient

3. Properly warm-up your car before you start driving.
take the few minutes to let the beast warm up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
hold the clutch in for a little longer, don't just let it out when the shifters in 2nd
pay attention to the revs and let it out quickly when the revs are matched, its the only way to get super smooth 1-2 shifts, you can also give it some gas as u release the clutch.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have driven several stick cars and I have to say a wrx is bizzare compared to most. it took me a bit to get the feel of it. racing is a whole nother animal of it's own though specially 1/4 mi.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,050 Posts
It seems that first to second shift takes longer than the others,and is not as smooth as the others,I'll try some of your suggestions and see if they help.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
wrxwex said:
hold the clutch in for a little longer, don't just let it out when the shifters in 2nd
pay attention to the revs and let it out quickly when the revs are matched, its the only way to get super smooth 1-2 shifts, you can also give it some gas as u release the clutch.
ditto. i can't think of the drop in RPM's from 1st to 2nd (1500rpm drop?) off the top of my head, but it's alot more than from the other gears (2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th...). the key is matching the revs.

NOTE: I'm not recommending the following, but...
if you know how to shift w/o using the clutch (which involves rev matching), this will help you when you shift using the clutch.

·
Registered
317 Posts
its at least 1250 revs from 1-2 like from 3000 to 1750 should be about right, try it, it works

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I let my dad drive it today to see if he could get it. it was pretty smooth shifting, but you could still feel it. btw he has been driving stick for about 35 years

1 - 17 of 17 Posts