Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi,
I won't lie- I'm quite new to this "forign car" world. I'm a die hard mustang and vette guy who recently converted to this wonderful new world of WRX (2004 premium wrx). Having worked at a (domestic) repair shop for many years, I thought I knew everything there was to know about cars... and now I'm sitting in one that has the word "FUJI" imprinted under the hood. So please, forgive my innocence; I'll catch up quick.

Ok so the first mod I'd like to do is switch the shifter nob to that MOMO sphere one...cause that;s hot, and my friend (who drives an automatic corvette, so he doesnt have too much weight in his opinions) called it a "***** shifter." Only problem is, I can't figure out how to get the damned thing off!!! My 67 fastback's screws off with 1 set screw that is so visable, you can cut yourself on it if your not careful; most american cars are smiliar. I can only imagine it must be some sort of set screw set up right?

Second (and third) question- Down shifting to first is very weird- sometimes it will NOT go, sometimes its like BUTTER. I know I know, your not supposed to do that- but we all do. Plus theres this DEAD spot on the tranny in 2nd at like 8mph which almost nessesitates the down shift. I can hear it spinning up to speed (high pitched whine in the syncromesh- which is a little weird also) but its not too happy to be shoved into first. I've been getting around it by double clutching. Any other ideas? Or is that one of the car's idiosyncracies?
As an addendum; is there even syncromeshing in Reverse?! I'm in the (bad) habit of dropping it into Reverse while still moving forward, but I seem to grind every time!!! No worries though; the grinding will cure me of that habit REAL quick!

Any input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
As far as the shift knob mod goes, there should be instructions with your new one, otherwise I've never done it...

In terms of shifting to first, the double clutching is pretty much the only way to go unless you're at a standstill. The high pitched whine of the synchros is probably your turbo though, it sounds like a really airy whistle sound from under the passenger's feet (downpipe). Hope your grinding cures your little reverse problem too, because that is a bad thing to be doing on this transmission.

Congrats on your car:)

~Tim

·
Registered
814 Posts
To get the shift knob off just put the car in N and twist the top to the left..... HARD. It just screws off. The new one should screw right on.

·
Registered
346 Posts
momo knob

I just put a momo shift knob on my rex and love it. The old one simply screwed off... well maybe not simply but it screwed off nonetheless. The momo knob was equipped with many rubber rings that fit over the metal threads on the shift arm. The momo knob fit snugly onto the arm after fitting it with the proper sized rubber cap. To tighten down the knob, use the 3 included screws (the longer ones that came with it) or else the knob will loosen up and spin.

Hope that helps, i put mine on in about 10 minutes. The only PITA was trying to get the boot to fit with the new knob, which took some creativity and superglue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for the help.

One quick question: How much did you get the momo nob for? I cant find it for under $80!

I know that momo also sells their own leather shift boots-perhaps thoese are designed to work with it better.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yea i payed around $80 for mine...
The momo boot is designed to fit better, but you can make do with the OE boot, and save about 50$.

I put the blue one on my WRB rex... matches perfectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh those are nice... i was actually talking about this one !

Sorry its just too close to the old mustang one i know and love!

Anybody see one of these for sale cheap- i.e. less than the $84 the dealer is charging?

·
Registered
346 Posts
search for it on a search engine...

you can prob find it for 75$ but not much less.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
that's the momo air leather shift Knob

;)

$70-$75 is as cheap as you'll get it. i have the same one, and paid $80. just unscrew the old one off the shifter. that one slides on, then is secured with hex wrench teeth.

dR

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
You can find the knob you are looking for at World One Performance

Follow this tree: Universal parts, interior, Momo. The knob is at the bottom of the page and is going for 69.95.

I have had nothing but good experiences with World One and if you check in the Vendor Review forum you'll see that there are many others like me.

Welcome to the WRX community!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts