ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a 2019 WRX (base). When driving i notice that (only) in 4th gear the shifter start to rattle and move; it has small amount of play when in 4th gear. This is really only when im @ 2-2500 rpm it does this, however as i go up in the powerban in 4th gear it lessens, to the point where the shifter kind of settles in and doesn't move as much and has no rattle. Also if i sort of just gently hold the shifter and steady it while in 4th, the noise (obviously i guess) or vibration dies down. I'm not 100% what this is. All other gears are nice and tight while in gear, and no noise. It shifts fine into every gear, even fourth. I've seen some stuff online where people say it could be the bushings. Other things say a bunch of different things. If anyone could give me some insight i would appreciate it. I'm no mechanic, but i have some fundamental knowledge about cars. I've never seen this before. Hope to hear back and thanks.

·
11,231 Posts
It's lugging the crap out of the engine low rpm in higher gears is where ping and knock live. Ping and knock blow up engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again, not a mechanic but Im 99% I know what lugging is and this don't seem to be it. And how could 2k or 2500 rmp in 4th be lugging? It's not like I'm flooring the accel either. Also, why would it don't do the same thing in 5 & 6? For instance, when I notice this, sometimes I shift up to 5...almost same speed and no issue - or lug.

Not trying to be combative, just trying to understand. Thanks for your response also.

·
11,231 Posts
The shaking you are feeling is bucking in the engine. The motor and transmission mounts are designed to absorb that, so because the shifter is connected to the transmission it's obvious there first.

What clued me in to the issue is it's at low rpm in 4th, and passing 3k into the power band the issue lessens. On your transmission 4th, 5th and 6th are all overdrive gears(although 4th is like 9.8:1).

The reason your probably haven't noticed as much is because most people unconsciously downshift from 6th or 5th when accelerating for more acceleration where 4th you may not. It doesn't take much throttle to start pinging.

You are locked in gear, there is no grinding sound, just a shaking in the shifter. If it was the transmission gears you'd hear something akin to change in a garbage disposal, and if it was the clutch you'd have engine revolutions bouncing and vehicle bucking.

·
Registered
Subaru wrx 2019
1 Posts
Recently got a 2019 WRX (base). When driving i notice that (only) in 4th gear the shifter start to rattle and move; it has small amount of play when in 4th gear. This is really only when im @ 2-2500 rpm it does this, however as i go up in the powerban in 4th gear it lessens, to the point where the shifter kind of settles in and doesn't move as much and has no rattle. Also if i sort of just gently hold the shifter and steady it while in 4th, the noise (obviously i guess) or vibration dies down. I'm not 100% what this is. All other gears are nice and
Recently got a 2019 WRX (base). When driving i notice that (only) in 4th gear the shifter start to rattle and move; it has small amount of play when in 4th gear. This is really only when im @ 2-2500 rpm it does this, however as i go up in the powerban in 4th gear it lessens, to the point where the shifter kind of settles in and doesn't move as much and has no rattle. Also if i sort of just gently hold the shifter and steady it while in 4th, the noise (obviously i guess) or vibration dies down. I'm not 100% what this is. All other gears are nice and tight while in gear, and no noise. It shifts fine into every gear, even fourth. I've seen some stuff online where people say it could be the bushings. Other things say a bunch of different things. If anyone could give me some insight i would appreciate it. I'm no mechanic, but i have some fundamental knowledge about cars. I've never seen this before. Hope to hear back and thanks.
My 2019 does the same thing since day one. Im at 34k and all is well. I believe its a characteristic of the vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts