Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a perrin shift stop a few weeks ago and im having issues shifting from 4th to 6th. I dont recall it being an issue before I installed it so.... i already went back in and loosened the 5/6th side but I still cant shift from 4th to 6th. Am I nuts for thinking I should be able to?

I can get into every gear and reverse fine, the only issue i ever have is shifting 4 to 6. Could it be related to putting those little washers in on the 2nd part the I lack the vocabulary to describe?

Any advice?

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you're going to skip shift like that you better make sure you let the RPMs fall sufficiently for that final gear. It can prematurely wear your synchros.

My daughter had a bad habit going from reverse to first - while the car was still going backward. Her rationale - the car drifts back when you first start out anyway. I could never get through to her that it shouldn't, even on a hill and even without hill assist.

Not trying to be critical, just my $0.02, for what that's worth.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I've skip shifted for years. With the gearing and my usual routes in the BRZ, I do 3rd to 5th quite regularly.
Match revs for the incoming gear? Well, yeah. That's just called "driving". :)

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
It depends on the gearing in the car. Many newer vehicles have super tall gearing in the final 2 gears. I've read that 4th and 5th are super close on the 15+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Yeah, for me most of the gears in this car (15) are close. I am used to greater separation. I sometimes will skip even a couple gears. Some times I'll be in a gear and want to get around someone or away from something and once around/away I have no more need for power so will go from 3rd to 6th. Passing an Amish buggy is one example.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, feeling better that some people actually do this as well and for the same reasons I do. Guess Ill put the shift boot back on and deal with it. The shift stop was my only mod related to the actual driving so I figured I better go check that first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts