Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been near a Dyno and don't want to go there for two weeks (a couple of engine tweaks are scheduled June 29 and I'm done). But others have posted Dyno results and I've also read WRX vs this car and that. Manny drivers talk about running to the red line, 7.5 K RPM.

Did anybody look at the Dynos that have been posted here? Torque and HP drop off hard around 6.0 to 6.5 K RPM.

Am I missing something or is the shift pont around 6.0 to 6.5 K rpm?

I run a Pro-drive ECU which uses the stock boost solenoid. I don't have to worry about EGT or AF mixtures beacuse the ECU measures AF ratios and EGT for me. At $995, it's a bit pricey. I'm running about 18 - 19 psi in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. 1st gets me about 13 psi. It's hard to look at the boost gauge and drive that friggen' fast at the same time and wifey has her eyes closed long before then. Sometimes, she screams louder than the turbo.

I can't wait to dyno and I don't drag at all. But I almost never shift past 6.5K RPM.

Like I said, am I missing something?

:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
i know for me, in my few runs at the strip, i pushed it to redline just so i would be higher up in the rpm band for the next shift. don't forget, even though the power might drop off somewhat in the higher end, you'll be that much further ahead on the lower end of the power curve when you shift into the next gear. if you shift too low you might be at the very low end of the power curve right after the shift. i tried shifting lower, and when i'd get into the next gear, mainly 2nd going to 3rd, i would be real low in the rpm band. that is why, i think, most people take it up to redline. to me, and my best runs have proven this to me, it pulls harder over a longer period of time if i take it just to redline. of course, this all may change if you have additional engine management such as yourself.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Um, first of all, without an aftermarket ECU, the WRX redlines at 7,000rpm with a 7,200rpm fuel cut. I set my fuel cut at 7,600 and redlined at 7,500 with my Link ECU, but found no benefit in doing so. The best results I see at the track are shifting at 7,000-7,100rpm, since it puts you in the meat of the powerband in the next gear.

-Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts