ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously this is a sign of warped rotors. This is for my DD legacy not wrx. Heres the situation.

When i brake the wheel shakes like crazy. Pretty sure its the front brakes...question is

-do i resurface the rotors and get cheap pads?
-resurface and get nice pads?
-new rotors and nice pads?

I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible but more like as long as possible for the money. I dont need slotted rotors or fancy pads for autocrossing... i'm just gonna be driving around town with it.

What would you guys do? if i can get away with resurfacing the rotors and throwing some 50 dollar pads on and that eliminates the wobble for 2 years i'd love to do that

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Resurfacing the rotors may or may not be possible, depending on how warped they are. Remember that not all uneven braking is caused by warped rotors though, sometimes heavy pad deposits can cause the same issue, but likely with this being driven around all the time it is warped rotors.

If it's just a daily beater, there really isn't any reason to put much better pads on there. Just do what is safest and cost effective, in this case it may mean new rotors, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of just getting the cheapest napa rotors and cheapest napa pads...read that cheap pads will eat rotors so i was thinking the next bump up for pads from napa...

Also was just looking weather or not i should spend more to possibly get more life out of them. If i can spend 1.5x more to get double the life i will do it. Otherwise i'll probably just do like said above

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
It really isn't obvious that your rotors are warped. In fact it is very very rare these days.

Vibrations are from uneven brake pad deposits from high heat most likely. You get them hot, come to a complete stop with the pads forced in one spot on the rotor, and get a bad deposit there. The cheap and easy way to fix it (and the correct first thing to try) is to bed them. you are trying to burn that off and leave an even deposit basically. Anything else you do to the rotors other than replacing them will only increase the likelihood of the situation coming back.

The stock pads were pretty bad about this - I had to "rebed" mine several times of their life. The autozone pads on my Outback do not have that issue, nor do the Axis Ultimates I have on the WRX (tens of thousands of miles on both in the mountains). The problems were mostly on the front - the H6 upgrade also helps.

Essex - Learning Center - Know Brakes 1: How to Bed-in Brake Pads and Rotors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts