ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did my normal searching of topics and it seems there's only subjective advice on what constitutes an acceptable amount of shaft play on a stock turbo when the turbo is off of the vehicle. I am asking because I purchased a used turbo from a junkyard to replace mine and need to know what constitutes "a little" and if I should exchange this one for another before putting it on.

It's a stock '02 WRX turbo and I'd say the shaft has somewhere in the realm of 1/16"-1/8" of movement, but only longitudinally ("in and out"). The impellers touch the housing -- and you can hear the requisite "ping" of them touching -- when you spin it. But when not touching -- what I assume will be oil-pressurized -- it spins very nice. Can anyone let me know if this bad boy is good? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,464 Posts
The impeller should not touch anything. Lateral play in-out is tolerable but I don't know to what extent. This means a little is OK, a lot is not, and I can't tell you what "little" or "lot" actually mean. Movement up/down is a show stopper, unlike slight play in/out.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I was told more than three shakes is unacceptable... ohh wait, never mind.

(far too many jokes to be had here, but I'll stop at that.. for now)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Everyone likes a little shaft play! ;)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is directly from Subaru
Thanks, you cant beat that as reliable information.

As for the rest of you, it took all of my will-power to not put some pun in there. But since we're going downhill anyway...I try to get in as much shaft play as possible :wiggles:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts