ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car burns almost a quart of oil about every 1k miles. I Know it's normal for the WRX to burn a little oil, but a quart+ every 1k miles seems like a bit much. any ideas?

I'm taking it in for the 30k scheduled maintenance this weekend so maybe the dealership can figured it out (not bloody likely though :mad: )

Been using Mobil 1 Sys 5w30 since 3k miles change every 5k

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
i'm at 60K miles, and drive my car pretty hard.

i don't lose a drop.

this is the first i've heard it's normal to be losing oil. i know that typcially it's not a terribly big deal to be down a quart or less every 3K, but this seems like it's way too much.

is there oil on the filter? around the plug? in your driveway?

was the engine completely cold when checked?

dR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, always check cold, level surface etc. checked filter, plug, engine for leaks couldn't see any. I even took it to the dealer a while back, but I don't think they even looked at it, just said they couldn't find any leaks. :rolleyes:

I dunno, the car seems to run fine, no smoke or anything. I'm at a lose. :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine lost some oil at 8K miles. The dealer said it should use NO oil. If it does, there's a problem.

They added some UV dye to the oil and will check it next oil change.

Have them do that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jibco said:
Turbo problems? You sure about no smoke? tailpipe included.
Nope, no tailpipe smoke either as far as I can tell. The turbo always make full boost, and the car runs fine. I am at a lose as to what could be causing this.

I just hope this isn't a sign of something horrible about to happen.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
is there a lot of oil in the intake side of the IC?

i'm wondering if it's blowing by the rings, and getting rerouted back into the intake.

are your rpms completely still at operating temp idle (not counting a fan cycle or A/C?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure, is it easy to tell/check?
RPM's seem stable, but I'll double check next time I'm out.

Blow-by sounds like the most plausable explination right now, but that would not be an easy fix. :(
I don't know what could that have caused it though (if it is the cause) I babied the car all through break in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts