ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as some of u know I'm trying to sell my wrx for an STi. My weapon of choice is cars.com. Any suggestions for getting it to sell or making a good ad? I have never sold a car before so I do not know what to expect, but there's a first time for everything right? lol And anyone that has posted on cars.com before, what were your experiences on there? good? bad?

Thanks - Lowell

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What's up with the badge on the back of the car? Don't you already have an STI? :confused: Ok I know you don't, but what's up with the badging? Pet peeve of mine, can't help poking a little fun, sorry!

I've sold 5 cars on cars.com so I think it's an awesome site. Cars sold:
1988 VW Jetta (first car I ever officially owned)
1999 VW Passat (first car I ever bought new)
2001 Porsche 911 C4 (with more $$$ in mods than most cars on here cost!)
2002 Nissan Sentra (wife's)
2001 Volvo S40 (wife's)

The best thing I can say is to advertise it for what you want to get for it. There's a lot of Imprezas on there so you want to put a price that will make it fall in the low end of the range of pricing on the search results. I've done this with everything I sold and I've gotten very close to the asking price for all of them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jeff, sure did! And thanks for the tip I would like to come away with $21000, I'm asking $21995 do you think this is a good idea? The car has 15000 miles btw.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
$21k sounds good for that car. I personally would shoot for an 06/07 sti because its newer and has less miles. Thats just me, i would rather find an STi with the least miles on it possible to ensure its in great condition and wasn't sold because of a major issue that will surprise you after signing for it. BUT i still like the blobeye sti your looking at, miles arn't that bad, just use good judgement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've sold my last three cars on craigslist.org

I tried listing one of those on cars.com and autotrader.com and never got a single reply except for spam (not that I didn't get spam from craigslist). If you live in an area that has a large craigslist user base, you would do better to list it there, and it's free so....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I drove it today, and it has some minor vanity issues. Carpeting in the trunk looks **modified** lol. So theyre buying me new carpet and fixing it. Tire tread is dreadfully low on the back 2 tires all four are Sumitomo but they are replacing all four with new RE070's. Thank god one of the guys selling us the car used to be a Subaru dealer and knows that you have to have 4 of the same tire! That's how i could come away with the STi out the door price of $23,500. I think that is a steal considering their asking price was $23,995. lowered it down to about $22,000 and + tax $23,500 and I'm a new insurance liability!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also listed the car on craigslist.org. Thanks for the suggestion! I would have looked at an STi with lower miles/newer, but this was all that my budget could support right now!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
yeah well you seem to be smart for your age, but being 16 you should probably stay with the wrx a year or two to learn how to drive better. Even the wrx isnt a learner car. But dont let me stop you from your dreams, just dont kill your self or someone else from being a jackazz

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the most part I stay around the speed limit and the only times I would go faster than +5 or 10, if not just keeping up with traffic, would be if noone was around. Thanks for the concern! I just found my post on cars.com
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=1K2RCELQTUU3XLAYIEYE2UY?tab=summary&paId=254936804&recnum=0&actLog=true&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-wrx|E-ALL|M-_45_|G-60000|B-23000|H-|D-_408_|N-N|R-50|I-1|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|Y-_2006_|X-popular|Z-60010&aff=national
Why aren't my pictures showing up?! Any ideas? I really don't want to spend another 29 dollars on this!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
never used the site...how they have you list them like browse then it loads up or is it like clubwrx where you need to have a link to the photo

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
**UPDATE** They sent me an e-mail with a username and password to cars.com and I can edit my ad there! Hopefully everything will be alright!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phew! I'm not too worried about it anymore it should work just fine. It's processing right now. Thanks for the suggestions and the motivation guys! Any advice for when i get the STi? Other than don't kill myself or anyone around me of course!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
yeah well you seem to be smart for your age, but being 16 you should probably stay with the wrx a year or two to learn how to drive better. Even the wrx isnt a learner car. But dont let me stop you from your dreams, just dont kill your self or someone else from being a jackazz
+1 on that, not to be a buzzkill either but at 16 you should really be learning to drive the WRX better rather than getting an STi. Unless you're going to use the power, which I expect you are if you're buying it, there's no sense in getting the STi. And no 16 year old knows how to handle 300 HP unless you're Mario Andretti's kid which means you've probably driven an Indy car by the time you're 16.

Have you looked into what your insurance rates are going to be with the STI? Are you sure that you can find a company that will insure you? Many companies won't insure anybody under 18 (if that) for cars like the STI.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be awesome to be Mario Andretti's kids! I do intend to take the STi to the track occasionally. I will be taking a track safety course too, I hope that settles some of the uneasiness (sp?) teflon. Check out the updated post guys let me know if theres anything I should add or change, thanks!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=99&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=AFFILIATEADID-3053959|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending&aff=national&paId=254936804&recnum=0&leadExists=true

1 - 20 of 65 Posts