Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about selling my 2017 wrx. I had a 2011 premium wrx and then traded up to a 2017 base model. Of the many reasons, the key was that the clutch on the 2017 was softer than the 2011. I have determined that I can't drive the wrx on a daily basis because the clutch, although softer, is causing major foot problems. Probably due to the fact that I have been driving a manual for 35 yrs. So I was considering trading it or garaging it, but I have a hard time justifying keeping a second car that I will only drive once in a while. The issue with trading is that I got a trade in value of $19,500 from a dealer, but I bought and installed the Cobb turbo back exhaust and accessport and have a complete set of winter tires (Blizzaks) and rims, plus a few other things. No dealer will give any value for this stuff and in fact the dealer says that the car is worth more to them with the OEM exhaust and the extra tires are of value either. This means that I have to unload the exhaust and the accessport. I hate to pull everything off the car to sell on eBay. Although the dealer was willing to swap out the exhaust for me. Should i just try to sell the car privately?

thanks
Ken

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,573 Posts
If you can tolerate low ballers, broke big shots and cretins then return the car to stock and sell the parts privately.

Whether you sell the car privately or not is up to you but every idiot within 100 km will want you to drive to them and accept (non-)payments unless they have cash in hand — but invariably that cash will be a fraction of the car’s worth.

There will also be parents that lowball you you because the car is promised to their kid who has cancer, charities that benefit nobody except the staff who want it for free, churches that want it donated because the last time God gave anyone a ride was when Isaiah was taken up in a chariot, and experienced businessmen who live with their mom but can get the car cheaper elsewhere — but won’t; they want yours for nothing instead.

I’ve kept every car I’ve bought since 2002 and I now have five cars. It’s so much simpler and I don’t have to meet the dregs of society.

Have fun!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,573 Posts
Check a drivers license, take a picture of it and the person, check for full cash I’m hand, take the cash, and let them test drive. See what they hit out of curiosity. That’s how one sells a bike. Just make sure the DL is valid, the cash is real, and the car is insured for everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would dare to say you have to understand your market, and what comes with what. Enthusiasts will go the extra mile and will understand the value of the product whereas younger kids are just looking for a flashy car with speed. I’d ask them questions to gauge how much they know before letting them test. I think a few simple questions will let give you insight into what they’re after.

That said, i recently met a guy who was doing the same thing as you, but he had a lot more on his car and pulled every single piece off from his upgraded brakes, to his short shift plate, to exhaust, winter tires, etc. he tracked his stage 2 wrx and it just happened to be the same year as mine.

It’s been great I’ve gotten to pick his brain while I buy the parts at a reduced rate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts