ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of over my wrx. It is fun but I am thinking about switching over to a truck. i am fortunate enough to be able to do this but not buy both. Any ideas on how I can make my wrx more enjoyable? Or is it time to leave it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
well i can say that i went from having a f-150 raptor to an STi. while the stick shift is still my enemy, im having way more fun with this than i ever had with my truck.

the only reason you should move to a truck is if you do alot of moving/trips to the dump. other than that its way less fun to drive and SUCK GAS

·
Registered
63 Posts
well i can say that i went from having a f-150 raptor to an STi. while the stick shift is still my enemy, im having way more fun with this than i ever had with my truck.

the only reason you should move to a truck is if you do alot of moving/trips to the dump. other than that its way less fun to drive and SUCK GAS
Dunno man. I just got my STi late November. Before then, I had a Dodge Ram (bought new in 2005 as a 2004 model). There are definitely some things I miss about the truck. It was my daily driver and was used to ferry things like my motorcycle and ski trips (and I didn't have to worry about wheel swaps in the winter). Drove to/from NC constantly with it, with 3 kids and the wife, packed to the gills...no problem (quad cab). Gas consumption was something I factored before I bought the truck, so that never bothered me much, even when getting 12mpg city...should be expected). There are a lot of dirt roads here and I used to go buck wild, not worrying about bottoming out when hitting mud holes...I could probably roll under my truck, it was so high. I'd hit the dirt trails when traffic piled up. I drove my truck through huge piles of snow after Snowmaggedon...didn't even have to dig it out...it did that on its own, I just had to dig to the door.

The only reason I got rid of my truck was because it was actually more expensive to maintain than my STi will probably be. Maintenance was no joke with the Ram. I don't know about now, but that MY Ram had a good bit of Mercedes tech (Daimler and Chrysler were merged back then, but not now). Replacement parts on a truck with 85k miles...was killing me. The truck was solid, but getting a bit aged...was replacing aged parts with new and got tired of trying to keep up.

And, my insurance actually went DOWN when I got the Subaru.

I think it's a mindset. You think all a truck is just good for is hauling trash and moving. I actually enjoyed using it to do everything. It helped that I already delved in performance cars before (that itch was scratched long ago)...I didn't really miss sports cars, otherwise I'd have had another one instead of the truck. But, I always wanted an STi, so that's what I eventually got.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OP,

A Ram would be nice, but most domestic trucks don't appreciate very well, in my experience...I found out when trying to refinance my Ram thru my credit union maybe a year after I bought it. Couldn't get a refinance sine the truck lost so much value at the time. I made a promise to never buy domestic again, I was so pissed. If you want a truck that will be worth something when you're ready to trade/sell, you might want to look at Tundras. Just my 2 cents.

Now, a Raptor might hold its value better. Do your homework and check, or stick with the Rex.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I personally hate trucks.. I have a classic truck and I have my newer truck, but it is a glorified parts *****.. Its literally just a fun little sports truck since its bagged and everything else. Some people feel the same about trucks as I do about cars.. I dont get there thinking because like I said I hate em, but they probably dont get mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It all depends on what kind of fun you are looking for. I don't see a Ram as anything other than a way to tow or haul something more fun than itself :) They are not the greatest off-roaders compared to many trucks/suvs.

-mx

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just traded my f150 for a 2011 wrx love it gas is much cheaper and unless ur hauling something or towing no need for a truck and if u have one all ur friends will call when they move or buy something big lol driving on a daily basis is so much better in the wrx and is better then my truck was in the snow..and so much faster loland the look of the 2011 wrx is much better then a ram

·
Registered
14 Posts
I traded my 2007 DC 4x4 tundra for my 08 wrx, I only had the tundra for a year and loved it. I found my self always racing my truck "381hp stock" and having lots of fun so I decided to get the wrx because it was more suited to my driving style at the time. Here I am 4 years later with a little over 20g's into the subie and I find my self missing my truck. I keep thinking that all the cash I have in the rex I could of made the tundra a supercharged monster. Also the tundra holds its value well, the 07's around here are only about 5g's less than what I paid new! Don't get me wrong I love my subie and am always getting complemented on it, but you can't beat the versatility of a double cab 4x4 truck with a good amount of HP. Don't know if my rambling helped much but its something to think about.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dunno man. I just got my STi late November. Before then, I had a Dodge Ram (bought new in 2005 as a 2004 model). There are definitely some things I miss about the truck. It was my daily driver and was used to ferry things like my motorcycle and ski trips (and I didn't have to worry about wheel swaps in the winter). Drove to/from NC constantly with it, with 3 kids and the wife, packed to the gills...no problem (quad cab). Gas consumption was something I factored before I bought the truck, so that never bothered me much, even when getting 12mpg city...should be expected). There are a lot of dirt roads here and I used to go buck wild, not worrying about bottoming out when hitting mud holes...I could probably roll under my truck, it was so high. I'd hit the dirt trails when traffic piled up. I drove my truck through huge piles of snow after Snowmaggedon...didn't even have to dig it out...it did that on its own, I just had to dig to the door.

The only reason I got rid of my truck was because it was actually more expensive to maintain than my STi will probably be. Maintenance was no joke with the Ram. I don't know about now, but that MY Ram had a good bit of Mercedes tech (Daimler and Chrysler were merged back then, but not now). Replacement parts on a truck with 85k miles...was killing me. The truck was solid, but getting a bit aged...was replacing aged parts with new and got tired of trying to keep up.

And, my insurance actually went DOWN when I got the Subaru.

I think it's a mindset. You think all a truck is just good for is hauling trash and moving. I actually enjoyed using it to do everything. It helped that I already delved in performance cars before (that itch was scratched long ago)...I didn't really miss sports cars, otherwise I'd have had another one instead of the truck. But, I always wanted an STi, so that's what I eventually got.
I agree.. Also the room in the cabin is a huge plus. I live in a city and i wouldn't even mind the parking. I am not worried about the depreciation as some mentioned. There is something about driving in a truck. It is simply chill. They are great to cruise in, driving is much less stressful.. I think I'll be doing the switch as long as all goes well.

·
Banned
664 Posts
i left a brand new 08 4dr Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 in 09 for my WRX. new retail it was pushing 40k but they were giving them away. hell i still think today at invoice, rebates, bonus cash etc there is almost a 12k savings off MSRP. the WRX you'll be lucky to see invoice of a $1,500 savings if that tells you anything about resale, quality, longevity etc.

i did love it as i raced WERA supersport and needed to trailer my bike and everything around. but the truck wasn’t "fun." it was 5000 lb of slow, gas guzzling, no parking, no garage keeping, monster that was a PITA DD. the OEM tires were also a joke in ANY kind of snow! it was a death trap. i miss hauling things but you can’t beat 15mpg vs 24mpg, the ease of DD driving and parking, cheaper payment, 375 HP vs my 420 HP now and 2000 lb lighter. Plus the quality of the Ram sucked. 20” chrome plastic wheel covers?? No under wheel well and bed lining spray tar stuff?? Come on.

and on top of all that! i leased my truck for only 27 months. the residual valve for me to buy it after that time was $18,900. so MSRP $39,900 minus 27 months = $18,900!! i had my 09 WRX for 2 years and 36k miles. MSRP was $24,500 and i traded it in for $20,500. now of course i only paid invoice of $23,000 so i only lost $2,500 after 2 years of hard miles. the truck i think i paid $31,000 and sold it for $20,000 after 20k miles and only 17 months!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
100% agree with everything synolimit said MOST truck are terrible on resale within the first 4 years I got about 14 trade in on my 07 150 owed about 12 bought brand new and had 1.9 interest actually y I didn't lose money and my wrx is way better in the snow then my 150

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not seeing how people are saying that a truck isn't more utilitarian than a Subaru. Also, the argument of truck OEM tires in snow isn't really fair...if a truck has all season tires, it will need winter tires in snow belt areas...that isn't an issue with the vehicle, it's an issue with the tires, which Subarus usually share. With snows, I'd say a quarter ton 4x4 truck is just as capable...and even more so where clearance may be a concern. There's also gearing to take into account, as well as the ample down-low torque all big trucks have. Hell, even in an urban environment, trucks have an advantage...I won't be hopping any curbs with my STi!

I think my understanding of off-roading is quite different from you guys' views. I'm talking rugged terrain.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Also, the argument of truck OEM tires in snow isn't really fair...if a truck has all season tires, it will need winter tires in snow belt areas...that isn't an issue with the vehicle, it's an issue with the tires, which Subarus usually share. With snows, I'd say a quarter ton 4x4 truck is just as capable...and even more so where clearance may be a concern. There's also gearing to take into account, as well as the ample down-low torque all big trucks have. Hell, even in an urban environment, trucks have an advantage...I won't be hopping any curbs with my STi!

I think my understanding of off-roading is quite different from you guys' views. I'm talking rugged terrain.
we know the issue isn’t with the vehicle with OEM tires, that’s why you and i said it’s a problem with the OEM tires. check out tirerack, only 1 winter tire. all others are only all-seasons so there’s a negative to the truck again. i mean one can expect a "sports car" to need better tires for winter. but if i just dropped 40k on a big old truck that should plow though anything in my mind, id be pissed if i now have to drop another $1000 or close to it for winter tires plus the mounting and balancing every spring/fall. so now you’re forced to get the one winter tire at $197 a piece while the subi can be bought as low as $132 in OEM size. there goes another negative, big wheels need big more expensive tires. to each their own

·
Registered
14 Posts
Syno, what did you do to get 420hp on the subie? Last I heard you were still on the stock turbo. I haven't been on wrxtuners for I while now so I might of missed your recent upgrades

·
Banned
664 Posts
Syno, what did you do to get 420hp on the subie? Last I heard you were still on the stock turbo. I haven't been on wrxtuners for I while now so I might of missed your recent upgrades
Sorry, since dodge does crank HP I had to also. WRX is around 20% loss so whp is 335 on this winter tune with exhaust cutout closed. Just got word today summer tune will run another degree or 2 up top and 3-4 more psi down low :) just trying to kill 400wtq and run in the 340 range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, since dodge does crank HP I had to also. WRX is around 20% loss so whp is 335 on this winter tune with exhaust cutout closed. Just got word today summer tune will run another degree or 2 up top and 3-4 more psi down low :) just trying to kill 400wtq and run in the 340 range.

My bad, I thought that might be the case. Yeah I can't wait to get my summer tune, I'm currently running a E-85 winter tune "so more like E-70" and I'm making good power but if I don't park in the garage it takes 10-15 mins. Of cranking on it to get it started in the morning. So most the time I'm running around on my pump gas break in tune witch means no fun?

·
Registered
966 Posts
my friend has a ford F150 Raptor, and i have a 2011 wrx sti, both our first cars, and we both are into the same things (snowboarding, dirtbiking quadding, etc.) we are like brothers been friends since 3. His little brother is turning 17 in a year or so, hes pushing his parents REAL hard to let his bro take his raptor (his little bro wants the raptor more then anything) and he wants an STi or, sad to say it, but evo. he wants one of the two. i guess going for a trip down the shore in my STi, then getting home and driving his raptor wasnt enjoyable enough as the STi for him. im not sure if ill ever get over the 4wd turbo stickshift haha

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my friend has a ford F150 Raptor, and i have a 2011 wrx sti, both our first cars, and we both are into the same things (snowboarding, dirtbiking quadding, etc.) we are like brothers been friends since 3. His little brother is turning 17 in a year or so, hes pushing his parents REAL hard to let his bro take his raptor (his little bro wants the raptor more then anything) and he wants an STi or, sad to say it, but evo. he wants one of the two. i guess going for a trip down the shore in my STi, then getting home and driving his raptor wasnt enjoyable enough as the STi for him. im not sure if ill ever get over the 4wd turbo stickshift haha
I hear that

·
Registered
63 Posts
we know the issue isn’t with the vehicle with OEM tires, that’s why you and i said it’s a problem with the OEM tires. check out tirerack, only 1 winter tire. all others are only all-seasons so there’s a negative to the truck again. i mean one can expect a "sports car" to need better tires for winter. but if i just dropped 40k on a big old truck that should plow though anything in my mind, id be pissed if i now have to drop another $1000 or close to it for winter tires plus the mounting and balancing every spring/fall. so now you’re forced to get the one winter tire at $197 a piece while the subi can be bought as low as $132 in OEM size. there goes another negative, big wheels need big more expensive tires. to each their own
I got snows for my truck that were in the $120 range from...Tire Rack, OEM size, earlier this year. Maybe they are out of stock now? Just like an STi, balking at putting snow tires on a $40k truck is kinda ridiculous...you spend $40k and can't spend an extra $500 (in my case) for added safety?

20" tires will be expensive for any vehicle, but not all $40k trucks will have 20s. My truck had 17s. 2004 Dodge Rams with 17" wheels have higher towing capacity than those with 20s...17" rims give you the full 11k lb towing capacity, as well as less expense when it's time to get new tires.

And not all trucks are $40k. My truck was right at $34k, and with the rebates and trade-in, it was right at $20k. So, yeah, I had no problem affording tires. I also used all-seasons almost exclusively without issue in some very thick and slick snow. The engine would brake as soon as I lifted off the throttle, helping traction in 4wd high...dunno about trucks with AWD, though.

We're comparing apples and oranges. A truck will always be heavy and will always consume more fuel than small cars. Trucks will generally not accelerate/turn as quickly, or do the track stuff as well as a car, but they will definitely always be better at hauling, towing, getting through the snow/mud/ruts/trails...right out of the box. They might even be the better commuter, depending on the taste of the owner. A rally car could do the same...the problem is, our cars aren't rally cars...they are rally-inspired, but they don't come from the dealer ready to hit the trails, with the exception of the Outback models. Not everyone cares about what they make at the wheels....the OP doesn't, or he'd probably not be considering a truck instead of his Subaru. I love Subies, but not everyone is going to love these cars...not everyone thinks they're the end-all-be-all of the car world (and at includes me). I'm just keeping it real.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts