ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 921 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in SoCal, we constantly see cool cars on every corner. Especially in the beach areas!

If you see a cool or rare car, snap a pic and share!

Ready...? Go!

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Where I work, that side of town has the auto mall, so I see a lot of tesla, Lexus is-f, new jaguars, too many stingrays, a few gtr, couple supra and an nsx or two, Maserati

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,288 Posts
Here in SoCal, we constantly see cool cars on every corner. Especially in the beach areas!

If you see a cool or rare car, snap a pic and share!

Ready...? Go!
I've lived in SoCal since university. Up in Westwood before the troubles, when the money was green, the cars were so amazing I got bored of them. I used to count only handmade cars on the road as a game while riding the bus to pass the time. Then came the hunger.

On the other hand, most cars made this century are appliances. Very good appliances, but just appliances. They're fast and they're expensive but that's it, they're not interesting.

The Casa Ammannati is Galileo's house in Pisa (1564 if memory serves, though I wasn't present at the time). If you're ever in Pisa it's worth a walk. Here's an appliance parked outside Galileo's house in Pisa. Sorry about the car. If I find any pics of interesting cars I'll post back. It's a start.

IMG_4232.jpg

·
28,288 Posts
OK so I found a truly good car.

Boxer engine.
Maker with a better rallying and motorsport history than Subaru.
Iconic design.
Rivaled only by the Mini and VW Beetle, and I'm being generous to these two.

IMG_4209.jpg

·
28,288 Posts
The previous Citroen was probably too new to be ultra cool. I saw this car in a car park near Blvd Charles Livon in Marseiile.

IMG_6179.jpg

·
28,288 Posts
I've always loved Yank Tanks. When the US tries to make sports cars it's always unfortunate, but their forte was always huge, ghastly, ungainly, pointless land yachts and I've always been a fan.

Here's a surviving ex-pat. Originally a Canadian GM model, I photographed it in a saw mill on Kefalonia.

00420018.jpg

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
OK so I found a truly good car.

Boxer engine.
Maker with a better rallying and motorsport history than Subaru.
Iconic design.
Rivaled only by the Mini and VW Beetle, and I'm being generous to these two.

View attachment 186449

Hahaha.... I guess everyone has a different way of defining "good". For me, a "good" car would be one that was enjoyable to drive. Though I never drove a 2CV, I did ride in one and I didn't think there was anything enjoyable about the experience at all :)

·
28,288 Posts
Hahaha.... I guess everyone has a different way of defining "good". For me, a "good" car would be one that was enjoyable to drive. Though I never drove a 2CV, I did ride in one and I didn't think there was anything enjoyable about the experience at all :)
It was (remains?) the MUST car. Absolutely must.

If you do it, go all in: beret, 2-day beard, Communist girlfriend, existential problems, social awareness and cluelessness all in one simultaneously, the whole nine yards. Also don't be in a hurry, we're talking 20HP. Brilliant car. Strongly recommended, no reservations.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

If you do it, go all in: beret, 2-day beard, Communist girlfriend, existential problems, social awareness and cluelessness all in one simultaneously, the whole nine yards. Also don't be in a hurry, we're talking 20HP. Brilliant car. Strongly recommended, no reservations.

:rotfl:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Most of my work is either in the Hamptons, or on Long Islands "Gold Coast". Not much action this time of year, but over the summer there's tons of Ferraris, Lambos, Tesslas, etc... every now and then I come across some classics restored to showroom condition. I've got some pics, I don't take many tho bc is against company policies :rolleyes:

·
Contributes Nothing
1,048 Posts

My absolute favorite part about this car...it was made for 42 YEARS! Staggering.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My absolute favorite part about this car...it was made for 42 YEARS! Staggering.
It is. Difficult to keep up with modern standards though, when you're just building on an old platform.

But the original Mini was in production for 41 years, until BMW bought the brand. Most impressively(?) though, is the Land Rover Defender which will cease production this year after 67 years.

·
28,288 Posts
It is. Difficult to keep up with modern standards though, when you're just building on an old platform.

But the original Mini was in production for 41 years, until BMW bought the brand. Most impressively(?) though, is the Land Rover Defender which will cease production this year after 67 years.
I've dug up a picture of a Mini I took also! Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Alex Isigonis! I do feel though that the Mini, if not a Cooper, doesn't reassure the viewer that whoever owns the car won't one day make some money and go buy a Mondeo, whereas the 2CV owner isn't as easy to picture in a Xsara -- they're both poor but the latter may also fancy himself an intellectual. Dali said that if you play at genius, you become one, and I think the same can be said for intellectuals -- if you play at it, you may become one.

The Mini Moke, maybe because there's no roof, maybe because it's neither a base Mini nor a Cooper, is the more interesting "UK" Mini. Here's a pic I took of one (No idea why the site posts it sideways, don't tilt your monitor or try to tilt the room, just tilt your head!):

Mini.jpg

With the Mini, 2CV, DS, Beetle, and Land Rover all gone, I suppose that leaves only the Morgan surviving?

Most of my work is either in the Hamptons, or on Long Islands "Gold Coast". Not much action this time of year, but over the summer there's tons of Ferraris, Lambos, Tesslas, etc... every now and then I come across some classics restored to showroom condition. I've got some pics, I don't take many tho bc is against company policies :rolleyes:
Hamptons? Billy Joel not only crashed, but apparently may have rolled his 2CV into a restaurant if memory serves. Remarkable given the 20HP. I'll look around for info.

EDIT: Here we go! He hit a house in his purple 2CV. Great cars!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/piano-man-is-smashup-man-again/

·
28,288 Posts
2CVPower.jpg

This is my fav 2CV photo from my personal images, that is, pictures I've shot myself. Across the street, the banner urges "REVOLT" and the car is lit up at night. When it blooms it's really pretty also.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
View attachment 186545

This is my fav 2CV photo from my personal images, that is, pictures I've shot myself. Across the street, the banner urges "REVOLT" and the car is lit up at night. When it blooms it's really pretty also.
That's actually really cool, original...whatever. it's pretty sweet

·
28,288 Posts
That's actually really cool, original...whatever. it's pretty sweet
Photographed in a small park near a train underpass in a suburb of Athens. The car presumably belongs to the municipality since it's displayed on city property. I used to have lots of car photos but life got in the way.

·
28,288 Posts
MINI Clubman, photographed one night from the other end of a tunnel (what used to be an entrance to a Roman stadium, actually) in the Piazza Anfiteatro in Lucca. I remember it being bitter cold up there. Never did see Pinocchio.

IMG_4067.jpg

1 - 20 of 921 Posts
About this Discussion
920 Replies
65 Participants
josnroh
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing