ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently bought a new 2011 Mini Clubman S in June of 2011. So far, it has pretty much suffered multiple CEL and fuel efficiency/power loss issues. I'm actually tired of having it spend time in the dealership instead of in my garage. I'm thinking of trading it in for a 2012 WRX limited. My parents have been all for it, saying that they don't think the Mini can make interstate trips and that Subaru is much more reliable. I'm thinking if I want to trade it in, I need to do it sooner than later to stop the price from depreciating.

So I'm here asking for your input and advise. Should I trade it in or no? Pros and cons?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Should you trade it in depends on a lot of factors but most importantly, can you afford the financial hit that you will undoubtedly take doing so? If the answer is yes, I would trade it in.

Pros...
Subarus are well built (especially when compared to the mini)
More power, AWD (unless the clubman is also AWD, then just more power)
Lower parts cost and probably more readily available
Great community (although I've heard the same about minis)

Cons...Financial hit trading the mini, that all I've got on cons. The subaru is a superior car in every way I can think of although Minis are a blast to drive (at least the cooper S was)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There would be no hit if i trade it in soon. The monthly payment would be less for the subaru even with 2.9% apr (i'm at 0.9% apr for the clubman). The WRX limited is actually cheaper than my clubman S (well optioned).

Well supposedly the Clubman and Cooper S are the same, but because my car has all these issues, it was never drove right in the first place. Since the clubman was the only Mini I ever drove (i didn't test drive the cooper S, I should have), I wasn't aware of the difference until CEL came on and I had a cooper S for a loner :(.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My sister has the Cooper S, and it's a lot of fun. It feels fast because it's so nimble but then I get in my car and I just enjoy it so much more. And depending on where you're from, having AWD in bad weather is a life saver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There would be no hit if i trade it in soon. The monthly payment would be less for the subaru even with 2.9% apr (i'm at 0.9% apr for the clubman). The WRX limited is actually cheaper than my clubman S (well optioned).

Well supposedly the Clubman and Cooper S are the same, but because my car has all these issues, it was never drove right in the first place. Since the clubman was the only Mini I ever drove (i didn't test drive the cooper S, I should have), I wasn't aware of the difference until CEL came on and I had a cooper S for a loner :(.
2.9 %apr ? I was offered 1.9%apr for a 2012 WRX this past Dec. . Maybe it was a Holiday special?
I know a few people that have had issues with their Coopers and Clubmans. Like one of my friends used to say, "my Audi TT is awesome.....when it is not back at the dealer".
I would trade it for a WRX. No need for something that you'll second guess everytime you have to go somewhere.
More cargo space too, if you get the hatch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I guess I'll wait for a 0% or 0.9% APR before I do it. I have to go to the dealership around here to see because it doesn't look like they have any WRX listed in their online inventory. I might want to order one because I want grey (1st) or white (2nd) limited sedan.

The biggest thing that is holding me back tho, is that I don't know how to drive a manual. I grasp the basic from reading and watching youtube, but have never done it. So without that I don't know how I can test drive :(.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I guess I'll wait for a 0% or 0.9% APR before I do it. I have to go to the dealership around here to see because it doesn't look like they have any WRX listed in their online inventory. I might want to order one because I want grey (1st) or white (2nd) limited sedan.

The biggest thing that is holding me back tho, is that I don't know how to drive a manual. I grasp the basic from reading and watching youtube, but have never done it. So without that I don't know how I can test drive :(.
Hmmmm, I don't know if you can order a WRX and expect a 0%apr. That would take an incredible timing on your part. Yeah, talk to your dealership about that. My understanding is that it is offered to get rid of the current models to make space for the next-year models. You may also want to ask when is the latest in 2012 you can order one.

Good choice on the sedan limited. Never cared for leather but I really like mine. The HIDs alone made my "settling down" for it really easy. I would go for white.!:tongue:

As far as stick is concerned, ask your parents or ask a good buddy who drives a manual. It will take some time to learn. I didn't know the Clubman had an AT option. When I get stuck in traffic I wish that Subaru would offer an automatic option with paddle shifters. Sounds like heresy for some folks here but, hey they do offer an STI tS in japan with that option!:mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's why I'm going to assume that I have to take it at 1.9% apr at least.

Unfortunately, my parents do not know how to drive a manual. They never had to learn. None of my friends have manual cars. They know how to drive them, but they don't have something for me to practice on. Sad day indeed.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yeah, that's why I'm going to assume that I have to take it at 1.9% apr at least.

Unfortunately, my parents do not know how to drive a manual. They never had to learn. None of my friends have manual cars. They know how to drive them, but they don't have something for me to practice on. Sad day indeed.
I think the suggestion for manual was to have one of them test drive it with you in the car. Not the best option obviously, but better than nothing. Personally I wouldn't really want to teach someone manual on my car... last time I let someone inexperienced drive it she stopped at a stop sign in 4th gear. Made the most terrible noise...

·
Registered
24 Posts

Ouch. I'd hate for you to pay for driving school.:shakehead:
Well, I could also suggest for you to consider the upcoming Subaru BRZ. An AT with paddle shifters will be offered. But no AWD, though. A little smallish and...first year model. I speculate that since an AT will be offered for the BRZ, they might offer it for the next WRX. Same concern about the first year thing. Yep, I am probably considered a heretic now!:D
Well, it is more wishfull thinking than anything else....

I think though that driving stick connects you more to the car, especially one so fun to drive like the WRX.
I hope you somehow get to learn. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did look into it. I'm currently in Texas. It is too long and windy to copy and paste the lemon law into the post, but when I looked into it, I do qualify. I have been to the dealership at least 2x in a month for the same problem. However, it says that I have to give the dealership a fair chance to fix it. If they fixed it this time, then it would no longer qualify, however, if I take it out and drive it and CEL comes back on, I will probably talk to them about it and file a lemon law complain. However, I was told by my coworker (texas residents) that it would take an act of god for me to win a lemon law claim. Is that true? Either way, I bought a new car thinking that I wouldn't have to deal with problems like this. Which is why I'm thinking about trading this one in.

The only thing that I'm afraid of is they say well the CEL comes on twice and I reported that there was something wrong before that, but they didn't find anything the first time and problems were different both times so I didn't qualify. They haven't told me what was wrong with it this time, so I don't know what's going on yet.

Yeah I know, it's hard to find someone who's kind enough to teach me on their manual car. I'm at a loss as to how I can learn manual. I wonder if the driving schools around here teach it. I would not want to buy a sports car without a manual. I think I'm at a point in my life where I should learn to drive manual and enjoy the sports car experience. Once my knees gets bad or my reflex gets worse, such experience like this will be out of reach. I'm all for enjoying life because I only got one of it :).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did look into it. I'm currently in Texas. It is too long and windy to copy and paste the lemon law into the post, but when I looked into it, I do qualify. I have been to the dealership at least 2x in a month for the same problem. However, it says that I have to give the dealership a fair chance to fix it. If they fixed it this time, then it would no longer qualify, however, if I take it out and drive it and CEL comes back on, I will probably talk to them about it and file a lemon law complain. However, I was told by my coworker (texas residents) that it would take an act of god for me to win a lemon law claim. Is that true? Either way, I bought a new car thinking that I wouldn't have to deal with problems like this. Which is why I'm thinking about trading this one in.

The only thing that I'm afraid of is they say well the CEL comes on twice and I reported that there was something wrong before that, but they didn't find anything the first time and problems were different both times so I didn't qualify. They haven't told me what was wrong with it this time, so I don't know what's going on yet.

Yeah I know, it's hard to find someone who's kind enough to teach me on their manual car. I'm at a loss as to how I can learn manual. I wonder if the driving schools around here teach it. I would not want to buy a sports car without a manual. I think I'm at a point in my life where I should learn to drive manual and enjoy the sports car experience. Once my knees gets bad or my reflex gets worse, such experience like this will be out of reach. I'm all for enjoying life because I only got one of it :).
If you are willing to drive stick, I am sure that a good driving school can be found. Well worth the time and the effort. I hail from Europe and over there they teach you stick. Go for it!

Lemon laws can be very complicated and getting a lawyer is what some people end up doing as a result. Not sure that I would bother unless you have the time and the will and the persistence to do it. I'd rather trade the clubman and only take that financial loss. You don't want to know how much lawyers cost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL unfortunately I do know how much a lawyer cost. Lemon law doesn't necessary cover lawyer's fee either. Court time is also involved and in my line of work I won't be able to take the time off required to jump through these hoops. Which is why I would rather take the financial loss. At this point in time, it's not much. Which is why I don't know whether I should wait for the '13s or wait until they give a good APR and just go for it because the more I wait, the more the clubman depreciate. Of course if the car cause problems again, it forces my hand and I have to do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LOL unfortunately I do know how much a lawyer cost. Lemon law doesn't necessary cover lawyer's fee either. Court time is also involved and in my line of work I won't be able to take the time off required to jump through these hoops. Which is why I would rather take the financial loss. At this point in time, it's not much. Which is why I don't know whether I should wait for the '13s or wait until they give a good APR and just go for it because the more I wait, the more the clubman depreciate. Of course if the car cause problems again, it forces my hand and I have to do it.
I just checked the Subaru website. 1.9% APR on all models. Since you plan to order I would get one as soon as you can and minimize the financial loss.
Doesn't resolve your learning stick, though. Crash course in Stick Shift driving?:thumbup:

Since your username is cowWRX, maybe you should get a white WRX with black patches on it. Just kidding!:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, I definitely thought about it, especially with my mini since I have a white one as well. However, I think that I would get bored of it after awhile. It happens with all things pattern and to everyone, if you look at it long enough.

I just need to actually drive a stick car to make sure I'm competent and that I could test drive a WRX. The rest I have time to practice on my own car. I need february to end as well because for the next 4 months I don't have to drive on the high way to get to work. High way will be much later after I master the stick on local roads :).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just need to actually drive a stick car to make sure I'm competent and that I could test drive a WRX. The rest I have time to practice on my own car. I need february to end as well because for the next 4 months I don't have to drive on the high way to get to work. High way will be much later after I master the stick on local roads :).[/QUOTE]

Competence comes with a good instructor first (hence the driving school) and lots of practice second. Driving on the highway doesn't require too much shifting unless it is slow and go. That's relatively easy. Driving local a lot is what you need.
After Driving school you should be proficient enough.
I have the utmost confidence in you. Go for it !

p.s. I posted something about the BRZ earlier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I saw. I definitely looked into that and the FRS. However, I prefer WRX for the 4 doors. The 2 door sports car and especially with rear wheel drive do not interest me. Where I live, when it snow it has a lot of sleek on the ground. Very dangerous for rear wheel drive. I rather get 4 wheel drive anyways because it can stand up much better to after market tuning which would be my goal once I'm out of warranty (no mitsu because I want to make it out of warranty.. hehe shameless joke).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see, I bought my WRX because of the AWD as well, besides the sportiness of course. Doesn't snow much here in Southern California except in the mountains. Our highways are pretty slicky at first when it rains. My wife loves her Outback when it does.

I am sympathetic to your predicament because I have been driving an automatic SUV for the last 14 years, so going back to a stick was quite an experience. It does make me enjoy my WRX! One of my friends has a 2010 WRX hatch. I let him test drive mine and show me a few pointers. All I can say is I drive like a grandpa compared to him. We both laughed but he said that I'd catch up in no time when my car is finally broken in.

As a sidenote, my SUV (I still have it) is a 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Most reliable car I ever owned. Still going strong, that's why I am keeping it. Not sure about Mitsubishi's other offerings but this one is great.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
If you can already drive an auto, driving school is not needed. I learned to drive stick in a small parking lot many years ago.

You need to find someone that has a stick (perferably a Honda or Toyota cause they are super easy to learn on) that is in decent condition mechanicaly, and who trusts you. Next find an empty parking lot that does not get much traffic. When you get to the lot, have the owner show you the basics (up close demo is quite useful). At this point, the owner should hand you the keys and get out of the car...it is harder to learn if you have someone in the car cringing. It will likely only take you a few moments to get the shifing and timing down. Practice shifting up and down at low speeds...no need to wind it out. You should be good to go in under an hour.

When you go to test drive, remember that an AWD is a little trickier to get moving from a stop due to the fact that you can't (really really should not) break the tires loose like with a 2wd.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts