Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone,
I plan on correcting some swirls and scratches in the world rally blue paint on my 2016 WRX. In my detailing arsenal, I have Chemical Guys VSS, CG Blacklight sealant (which has some correcting properties), and the Vline of CG compounds and polishes (V32, V34, V36, and V38). I ordered a Torq 10fx DA polisher and plan to use it to apply the appropriate product.

If anyone has any experience/opinions/input about these CG products, please post a reply.

Many thanks :thumbup:,
joeburin77

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
I don't have any product with the V-line of compounds, aside from using V07, but have used plenty of products in the past. Only use the compound that's just aggressive enough for your needs.
If you're just getting rid of some light swirls, simply claybarring and buffing with light cut pad and blacklight may do the trick. It's made for dark colors, so I'm not sure how well it's going to work on WRB, but it is a nice sealant. You'd have to have really mistreated the car for it to need a full correction already, but it wouldn't be the first I've heard of it.
If it were me, I'd do a test spot and see what's going to work for the level of swirl you have.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
For just swirls, V36 and V38 plus the blacklight and jet seal should be perfect. There is no need to go any heavier than a cutting polish (V36) unless you have some impressive clear coat scratches or severe clear coat flaws. I'm actually getting ready to do this with my sti, but I had to order some V32 and V34 as I think I'll be needing them.

Also, make sure you use the proper pads. Chemical guys has an arsenal of pads for various uses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any product with the V-line of compounds, aside from using V07, but have used plenty of products in the past. Only use the compound that's just aggressive enough for your needs.
If you're just getting rid of some light swirls, simply claybarring and buffing with light cut pad and blacklight may do the trick. It's made for dark colors, so I'm not sure how well it's going to work on WRB, but it is a nice sealant. You'd have to have really mistreated the car for it to need a full correction already, but it wouldn't be the first I've heard of it.
If it were me, I'd do a test spot and see what's going to work for the level of swirl you have.
Thanks, irickchad. I have taken care of the car pretty well. But I have to park it outside quite a bit. That, along with the past occasional visit to a car wash, have resulted in some light to moderate swirls. I think your suggestion of a light cut pad and blacklight is a good one. And from now on, I'll wash the car myself. I got a foam gun and I love the results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, McBill. I am just trying to figure out, in terms of abrasiveness and "cutting level", how does Blacklight and the newer VSS compare to the vline products. I want to start with the least aggressive first. I read somewhere that Blacklight is somewhere between V36 and V38. Maybe I'll do 3 test panels, one with Blacklight, one with VSS, and one with V36 and V38.

Good luck with your STI detail and paint correction.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Thanks, McBill. I am just trying to figure out, in terms of abrasiveness and "cutting level", how does Blacklight and the newer VSS compare to the vline products. I want to start with the least aggressive first. I read somewhere that Blacklight is somewhere between V36 and V38. Maybe I'll do 3 test panels, one with Blacklight, one with VSS, and one with V36 and V38.

Good luck with your STI detail and paint correction.
Black light is NOT a polish or abrasive material. It does NOT fall between v36 and v38. Blacklight is a finishing gloss enhancer and mild sealant.

Vss is a very light polish and would only remove light clearcoat swirls. I would venture to guess it's about right inbetween v36 and v38 probably closer to V38. There are only two paths you should use here:

1). Stage 1, use v36 hybrid compound/polish to remove swirls. Stage 2, use V38 to give a final polish. Stage 3, use blacklight to bring more shine (only should be used if you have a dark paint color). Stage 4, use some sort of final sealant like Jet Seal or a high quality hard wax.

2). Stage 1, Use VSS to polish and buff out all swirls if they aren't too bad. Stage 2, Use blacklight for more shine (only if you have a dark point color). Stage 3, use some sort of final sealant like Jet Seal or a high quality hard wax.

Use method 1 if you feel your swirls are fairly bad and deep and method 2 if your swirls are not that bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case anyone was curious, I had sent the same question to Chemical Guys customer service a few days ago and got back this helpful reply:

"The VSS has an abrasive level, comparable to that of in between V34 and V36. It is a one step polish that is going to start out with the abrasiveness of a compound, and break down to refine into the grit of a final polish. The Blacklight does not have any abrasives, it only has fillers for minor imperfections. If you do have slight swirls or scratches, you can use the VSS to polish and remove them, or you can use the Blacklight to cover them up temporarily."

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Much appreciated!

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
In case anyone was curious, I had sent the same question to Chemical Guys customer service a few days ago and got back this helpful reply:

"The VSS has an abrasive level, comparable to that of in between V34 and V36. It is a one step polish that is going to start out with the abrasiveness of a compound, and break down to refine into the grit of a final polish. The Blacklight does not have any abrasives, it only has fillers for minor imperfections. If you do have slight swirls or scratches, you can use the VSS to polish and remove them, or you can use the Blacklight to cover them up temporarily."

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Much appreciated!
Good to know about the VSS. Thanks for posting. Might have to pick some of this stuff up for some of my less intense touch ups in the future. :thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No prob. If you end up using the VSS, let us know about the results and what you think of the product. I may end up using it on my girlfriend's Honda Accord. I'll post some pics of how it turned out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts